Hissom Memorial Center

Urban exploration in Oklahoma
TUGoonieGirl
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Hissom Memorial Center

Post by TUGoonieGirl »

The Hissom Memorial Center, a state center for mentally retarted children was shut down by a mandated court order as a result of reportsthat the children were not being treated properly. The Campus is composed of approx. 8-12 buildings all which remain unlocked and with minimal security. The center is located in Sand Springs off of Hwy. 51. It can be difficult to find but the best land mark to get you there is Radar detention center, it happens to be next door. In terms of security, it is necessary to jump 1-2 fences depending on your point of entry and crosss a large grassy field. There is one security house but I have personally never seen the security gaurd, since radar is next door it is of utmost importance that you remain very cautious when exploring parts of campus right next to radar, they do have large spot light and will assume you are one of the radar kids trying to escape. I am very new to UE and this was my first sight. I would reccommend where a mask as a large number of the ceiling tiles and insulation are falling out of the ceiling, also watch out for the "pentagram room" everytime I enter that building something starts to give me the chills.
Attachments
Anyone for a swim?
Anyone for a swim?
Hissom 9.jpg (2.4 KiB) Viewed 54667 times
The Morgue
The Morgue
Hissom 8.jpg (4.35 KiB) Viewed 54667 times
A random pile of keys we found
A random pile of keys we found
Hissom 7.jpg (5.49 KiB) Viewed 54667 times
Hissom 6.jpg
Hissom 6.jpg (4 KiB) Viewed 54667 times
signs on the door as you enter the room with the swimming pool
signs on the door as you enter the room with the swimming pool
Hissom 5.jpg (3.11 KiB) Viewed 54667 times
Hissom 4.jpg
Hissom 4.jpg (3.78 KiB) Viewed 54667 times
Hissom 3.jpg
Hissom 3.jpg (4.37 KiB) Viewed 54667 times
Old Movie Real
Old Movie Real
Hissom 2.jpg (4.68 KiB) Viewed 54667 times
Trap Door
Trap Door
Hissom 1.jpg (3.52 KiB) Viewed 54667 times
HMndnproud
Big Chief Little Shit
Big Chief Little Shit

Re: Hissom Memorial Center

Post by HMndnproud »

Freaky. Is it wierd that there's a morgue in there? That's really not to far from where I live.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.
TUGoonieGirl
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Hissom Memorial Center

Post by TUGoonieGirl »

People lived at hissom and some of them had diseases like cerebral palsy that they would eventually die from so it's a bit weird that there is a morgue but I guess they had to have a location to store the bodies until other arangements were made.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Actually it isn't uncommon for any sort of center where the mentally challenged, or mentally ill, or even assylums had morgues. I'm not for sure but my guess is there is an over grown cemetary on the grounds and if not then the dead were burried in a local cemetary near by. These places always dealt with their own dead until it became to cost prohibitive in the 1960's and 1970's and after that they started sending them directly to the local hospital morgue and those morgues usually got shut down and closed off...
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
mechfreak57
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by mechfreak57 »

alright a good site in Tulsa, finally :3 ill be in Jenks around thanksgiving, i have to check this out!
The objective of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other sorry bastard die for his.
-Gen. Patton
OkieMan
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by OkieMan »

I always thought Rader Center was in the same buildings that Hissom was. I guess I was wrong. I've driven by this place a lot of times, but never noticed them being different.
k din
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by k din »

A lot of bad things went on in this place. I am sure spirits abound. It wasn't a place you would want to send your loved one if you could avoid it. Creepy pix.
buckybear
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by buckybear »

What forced the place to close was that a kid fell in the pool and drowned. The door had been left unlocked and he wandered in with no one watching him. I don't know the details but a lot of the kids that lived there got very large settlements. There must have been a lot of abuse and neglect going on.
buckybear
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by buckybear »

What forced the place to close was that a kid fell in the pool and drowned. The door had been left unlocked and he wandered in with no one watching him. I don't know the details but a lot of the kids that lived there got very large settlements. There must have been a lot of abuse and neglect going on.
k din
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by k din »

There was a great deal of sexual abuse as well as physical and mental abuse, not to mention neglect. There were several incidents in the the years just before Hissom was ordered closed.

The individuals who were in Hissom did receive settlements and most were either placed back into their family homes, group homes, or single care homes. I had a family member who took care of a man who had been in Hissom, he was retarded and had been badly abused in every way.
lilmama1231
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by lilmama1231 »

My mother in law works for the Tulsa County Sheriffs dept and they did training out there this past Friday. Evidently it is used by the city for whatever purpose it can fit. I plan to go out there soon. Id love to see if there is any truth to it being haunted, anything with a morgue perks my curiosity.

Up for another trip TUgooniegirl? :wink:
HMndnproud
Big Chief Little Shit
Big Chief Little Shit

Post by HMndnproud »

I drove past this place yesterday. The city seems to be using it as a place to put all their limbs from the ice storm.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.
Blakemas
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Blakemas »

I want to add my own photos from Hissom on here but when I try to add them from facebook it doesn't work. Help please
nonconmat
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by nonconmat »

Go there in the daytime. Seriously. You will see a lot more. Just watch out around the buildings near the water tower -- some people work there and they keep some equipment (notably a tractor in the garage) over there. Yes, they used the open field between the buildings and highway for burning brush from the 2007 ice storm.

As for why Hissom closed -- the problems with mistreatment and neglect contributed, but it was mainly due to a 1987 court decision to eventually close all facilities like Hissom, and move the patients to more home- and community-based programs (see "Outward Bound Workshop" signs in the big building southeast of the gym/pool buildings). It closed in 1994, IIRC. It was built in 1961.

Here are some of my pictures from 2008: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cjdaniel/s ... 898274429/

If you do visit, as always, please be respectful and don't vandalise things. There are chalkboards in many of the rooms -- be creative :-D
OKCEXP
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by OKCEXP »

hey nonconmat, I would like to host your photos of hissom on abandonedok.com I PM you. Thanks!
Exploring the off limits of OKC