Our own "Amityville Horror" houses

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Our own "Amityville Horror" houses

Post by Willard »

I have a some pictures of a couple of houses that here in Springfield that are creepy as hell... on is now gone, but the other is still around. I'm looking at having the pictures up tonight!
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Our own "Amityville Horror" houses

Post by Anne »

Houses that are abandoned? I can't wait to see pictures! Creepy stuff is awesome. Except rats now.... sorry but rats just creep me out too much now.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

This house used to sit on Elm just West of Glenstone. There's a Gas Plus on the corner and then a small house and then a large empty lot that goes all the way to the street behind it. I took this picture several years ago and shortly after I took the picture, it was torn down.
Attachments
This house looked really creapy!
This house looked really creapy!
Elm.jpg (96.37 KiB) Viewed 8549 times

Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

This house is still standing. I was looking at buying it about a two years ago, but FHA said that it would pass for the loan. Anyway it's located on Broadway just north of the railroad tracks North of Commercial St. I have a ton more pics of the inside if anyone is interested.
Attachments
No windows on the upper floor!  AHHHHHHH!!!!!
No windows on the upper floor! AHHHHHHH!!!!!
N. Broadway.jpg (93.54 KiB) Viewed 8548 times

oldguy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Our own "Amityville Horror" houses

Post by oldguy »

Willard wrote:This house used to sit on Elm just West of Glenstone. There's a Gas Plus on the corner and then a small house and then a large empty lot that goes all the way to the street behind it. I took this picture several years ago and shortly after I took the picture, it was torn down.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

hey oldguy, what was your post?

oldguy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by oldguy »

Sorry, screwed up my posting. The building that you are referring to, I believe was a Masonic temple, or a Union hall at one time. But the cool piece of historical signifigance to me was that the Carter Family singing group, i.e. June Carter Cash, and Johnny of course, used the building to record in back in the early 50s. I think it was even before the Jubilee Music Show. Just thought you would like to know that. I just discovered your site today, and have been reading through all the old forums. I used to do a lot of exploring myself way back when, and might have some interesting insight on some things. If I am replying to some older posts, its because I have been looking them over.
Great Sight.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Interestingly enough 5 years ago I was at the Mudlounge working on my drawings and some drunk guy came in and sat down across from me (I guess he was interested to see what I was doing). Anyway he said he was related to Johnny Morris and the Morris family and rambled on about a bunch of stuff such as Springfield Airlines and how some state senator helped found it and about how he also paved the way for Morris' dad to get Brown Derby going and how the Johnny Cash and June Carter (and I believe he said the Carter Family) had recorded in that brick house pictured above. Because he was drunk I was taking a lot of stuff with a grain of salt... but I was taking notes and I still have the paper somewhere... ohhh I just remembered the drunk guys name... John Snipe I believe was his name.

oldguy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by oldguy »

Some friends and I actually started to go in that building back in the early 80s. They had attached something across the door, so we went around and kicked in a boarded up window. The room inside was covered in pigeon feces and they were all over the place. The room also had some ceiling caving in. It was dark out, and the friggin birds flying around kind of freaked us out so we didn't go in any further. It appeared to be a meeting room of some kind. 10 ft. ceilings and wood paneling with a fireplace at one end. I am sure it was a cool building back in its day. I never really got any further in. I don't know the drunk guy of which you speak, but I got the info from a friend of mine whose father worked the Jubilee show, and also had something to do with the founding of Silver dollar City. It seems like he was the one who told me it was a masons lodge or something like that. Oh yeah, this is off the point, but I worked in the Springfield Underground in the Kraft Storage facility for several years. God that place was cool. 4:30 every evening they would blast, and the large interior shed doors would blow back and forth and shake everything. There was also a large vault at the back of our area, that had once been the storage facility for arms for the local armory, and either the Spfld police dept, or Greene County Sheriff. The walls were 3ft thick concrete. Very secure, and very weird. I looked at a lot of posts tonight about places I had been 20+ years ago, it is cool riding down memory lane. I will be sure and post anything pertinent that I can remember about stuff that I have seen or been to.
SandMan
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Post by SandMan »

Willard wrote: 5 years ago I was at the Mudlounge
Underdog
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS

Post by Underdog »

SandMan wrote:
Willard wrote: 5 years ago I was at the Mudlounge
Willard, five years ago you weren't even 21 yet. In fact I think I was the first one to bring you to the mudlounge in late 2002.

By the way since your posting creepy old haunted houses you need to post that house on Kimbrough and Sunshine. You know the place where like 7 different people including myself witnessed "hauntings" if there is such a thing.
"I'm federal agent Jack Bauer, and today is the longest day of my life." -Jack Bauer
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

5 years ago I was at the Mudlounge
Sorry guys... I ment to say MudHOUSE. Anyway the Mudlounge didn't even exist 5 years ago. I acutally haven't frequinted the Mudhouse since I turned 21 and discovered the MudLOUNGE. ;-)

Underdog
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS
NEEDS MOAR TEXTS

Post by Underdog »

Thats what I figured. I was just giving you crap like I always do. :P
"I'm federal agent Jack Bauer, and today is the longest day of my life." -Jack Bauer