Camp Scott Girl Scout Camp - Murders

Urban exploration in Oklahoma
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: Camp Scott Girl Scout Camp - Murders

Post by Anne »

holeeroler wrote: Gene Leroy Hart was a Cherokee Indian and highschool football hero from Locust Grove. In June of 1966 Hart kidnaped 2 women outside a Tulsa nightclub and left them to die. They were able to escape and notified police.
Those two women, at least one was pregnant that I remember of. He shoved them in the trunk of his car and then dragged them out and raped them. I can't remember all the details but they had to run back barefoot to get help. I have the book and can type up the details, but it's really graphic and horrendous.
Anne has left the building.
holeeroler
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Camp Scott Girl Scout Camp - Murders

Post by holeeroler »

Someone said that they were surprised that they were surprised that the Indian 'subculture' existed so close to Tulsa in the way that it does. Well, let me tell you some things. I work for an Indian boarding school operated by the Cherokee Nation and I know some things about the Indian culture. I have seen things that would make goosebumps pop up on you big enough to hang a hat on.

I have been to "real" stomp dances (not the one's you see at indian village museums, demonstrations and such) and have seen shadows moving through the stomp grounds without a person their to preceed it. I have seen students use their Indian medicine to ward off spirits and to "cast spells" on other people. Their is a lot of other things that I could tell you but yes, this subculture still exists. It's just not talked about that much. :twisted:
HMndnproud
Big Chief Little Shit
Big Chief Little Shit

Post by HMndnproud »

Geez, you are making it sound like a voodoo orgie. Not every Cherokee believes in the Traditonal way. Some are strict Christians and some are both. It depends how you are raised and what you choose to belive. I, myself, tend to believe both.

If it isn't talked about much, it's because whites tend to blow things way out of proportion. There are things that should stay sacred.

Instead of Indian Culture, what you need to say is Cherokee Culture. All the tribes are different.

holeeroler, are you Native?
Last edited by HMndnproud on Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
HMndnproud
Big Chief Little Shit
Big Chief Little Shit

Post by HMndnproud »

And Tulsa is in the Cherokee Nation. :)

Here is a site that explains some of the Traditional beliefs. You don't have to understand or believe, but don't mock.

http://www.yvwiiusdinvnohii.net/Cheroke ... Belief.htm
idontlikespam
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by idontlikespam »

Of course it exists - they just aren't as in your face as some other cultures, which I think is wonderful that they wish to protect their privacy. We were allowed to watch a firedance at a powwow last night at a reservation and it was awesome. Their ways are their religion to them and it's not evil - it's very spiritual.
holeeroler
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by holeeroler »

First of all, I never said anything about it being an indian orgy and secondly, yes, I am a native american. I am Cherokee and am proud of my culture and am proud of the fact that the Cherokee people keep the old traditions alive. I was trying to exemplify the fact the their definitely is power in the Indian medicine. Sorry if I ruffled feathers. Let's not make my remarks a sub-topic of this forum.

I would like to say that I am very glad that some attention is finally being drawn back to this case. I have, for the past 5 or 6 years, been trying to draw national attention to this case to no avail. I have pleaded with the Oklahoma State Board of Investigations (OSBI) to reopen this case because many of the people in this area feel that there are people in our backyard that know more about this tragedy than they are willing to discuss. I know that all the evidence does point to Gene Leroy Hart but a lot of the people around here (I live about 15 miles from Camp Scott area) feel that more than one person was involved in carrying this out. Even after 28 years, this is still a clandestine subject that not to many people are to open to talking about.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

holeeroler wrote: I would like to say that I am very glad that some attention is finally being drawn back to this case. I have, for the past 5 or 6 years, been trying to draw national attention to this case to no avail. I have pleaded with the Oklahoma State Board of Investigations (OSBI) to reopen this case because many of the people in this area feel that there are people in our backyard that know more about this tragedy than they are willing to discuss. I know that all the evidence does point to Gene Leroy Hart but a lot of the people around here (I live about 15 miles from Camp Scott area) feel that more than one person was involved in carrying this out. Even after 28 years, this is still a clandestine subject that not to many people are to open to talking about.
I don't want to be the guy who shits on everyone's hopes, but I just want to know, did Gene Leroy Hart ever get tried for this? If he did and was found inocent then there's nothing the autorities can do because they can't try a person again after they've been found innocent. That whole double jepordy thing. Anyway I just thought I'd bring that up.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
holeeroler
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by holeeroler »

Gene Hart was found innocent of the murders but the state of Oklahoma has done nothing else to find the murderer(s). I know, as well as probably everyone in this forum, about double jeopardy and know that he couldn't be tried again. It'd be kind of hard to try him again anyway - he's dead. But the sad thing is that they found him innocent yet they abandoned the case after the trial.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

holeeroler wrote:Gene Hart was found innocent of the murders but the state of Oklahoma has done nothing else to find the murderer(s). I know, as well as probably everyone in this forum, about double jeopardy and know that he couldn't be tried again. It'd be kind of hard to try him again anyway - he's dead. But the sad thing is that they found him innocent yet they abandoned the case after the trial.
Oh ok, I get ya now. Yeah that is stupid that they just abandoned the case after he was found innocent. I'm going to guess however that they didn't want to spend anymore time or money (interchangable words with government anyway) on the case.

holeeroler
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by holeeroler »

I agree with you on the money and time part. The city/state government in NE Oklahoma has a habit of dropping the ball and taking the easy way out. I think that one of the main reasons that they jumped ship on this case was because their was a lot of things that they knew that they screwed up on. If you get into this case, you see a lot of things that they either overlooked or chose not to regard. For instance, in April of that year they found a note that said something to the effect of "We are going to either attack or kill (I can't remember which they referred to) 3 girls". The camp overseers turned this into the authorities and they ignored it. I guess that is something that they are having to live with now. There was also a figure of a man hanging in a tree by its neck in a tree at the campgrounds as well. Just some weird crap at Camp Scott that was never mentioned. While I feel like Gene Hart may have had something to do with this crime, I do not feel that he acted alone. I know that I wasn't alive when this happened (I was born in 1978) but I have devoted a lot of time researching this case by using old newspapers, the internet and stories and I feel that a guilty party (either solely or by association) is still out there. I have a family connection to this case and it makes it more important to me. I won't go into details about what that connection is but I just feel like an investigation needs to be reopened.
holeeroler
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Newspaper article regarding Camp Scott Murders

Post by holeeroler »

DNA still not able to prove Hart acted alone

As forensic science shows like
CSI gain popularity across the
country, many people are hoping
DNA testing might ultimately find
the truth behind the 1977 triple
murder of three young Girl Scouts
near Locust Grove.
Unfortunately, an attempt by
the Oklahoma State Bureau of
Investigation in 2002 to close the
case against Gene Leroy Hart was
unsuccessful.
Although a Mayes County jury
acquitted Hart of the crime, prosecutors
still feel like the Locust
Grove man who suffered a heart
attack and died in prison while
serving an unrelated rape charge,
was responsible for the deaths of
Lori Lee Farmer, 8, Michele Guse,
9, and Doris Denise Milner, 10.
Similar tests performed in 1989
on a semen-stained pillowcase
retrieved at the crime scene at
Locust Grove’s Camp Scott were
considered inconclusive although
they proved that only one in 7,000
American Indians would match the
fluid samples taken from the crime
scene. Hart, a Cherokee, maintained
his innocence throughout
his trial.
Chuck Jeffries, an OSBI
spokesman, said the 2002 tests
failed because the samples tested
were “insufficient and too deteriorated.�
“There is no DNA to test. The
lab tried to obtain, but could not
come up with anything to test,�
said Jeffries, inspector of the
OSBI’s northeast regional office.
“She (Joann Kihega, head of the
OSBI’s criminal DNA lab) tried
twice to get the genetic markers to
make the call, but both were unsuccessful.�
The 1989 FBI testing successfully
matched three out of five
DNA probes to samples from Hart,
but the results were deemed unreliable.
The 33-year-old Hart had previously
been convicted of rape, burglary
and kidnapping and had
escaped from the Mayes County
Jail several months before the
Camp Scott murders took place.
The case is still open, but considered
inactive.
holeeroler
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by holeeroler »

Hey . . . I was out driving today and decided to drive up to Locust Grove today. I hadn't ever knowingly been to the Camp Scott area and decided to drive up to it today. When I got to the gate, it was locked with a padlock and since there was a trailer house right before you got to the gate, I didn't feel that daring and decided not to climb over. I had actually been pass the gate several times without knowing that it was the former Camp Scott though. A few years ago it was called Rowland Ranch and you could camp, swim, horseback ride and stuff there. I didn't realize that I was actually at Camp Scott though until today.
holeeroler
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Camp Scott Girl Scout Camp - Murders

Post by holeeroler »

Anything new on this subject?
hounddogz
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by hounddogz »

I'll look for the article about how a psychic was brought in that area by the feds on the stateline in Ark and Ok because so many people was missing, she was said to only work secretly for the gov. It was so covert that it has never been made public with the CIA involved, the military, and all kinds of top dogs. She also was dancer and had kids with some famous singer.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Wow, I love how this thread is recieving a yearly revival. :D