Asylums and hospitals to check out.

Urban exploration in Missouri
JBSlarti
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Asylums and hospitals to check out.

Post by JBSlarti »

I can second that the Liberty Odd Fellows home was not an asylum, though the last time I saw it it wasn't in good shape. I live about 10 minutes from it, but haven't been by there in years. Now I'm gonna have to go have a looksee tomorrow.

My great-grandfather was a member of the Odd Fellows, and I've often thought of looking into the home as part of researching his history.

There is a short history of it on the Web site for the Liberty School District here:

http://www.liberty.k12.mo.us/svjh/libertyminutes

A couple students did a video on its history, that isn't bad considering it was made by high school kids. It's also got some interesting old photos and the names of the owners as of 2004.
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

RE: Asylums and hospitals to check out.

Post by tyler »

Here...

Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Re: RE: Asylums and hospitals to check out.

Post by Willard »

ivecomeasiam wrote: p.s. My Mom's uncle or something was a member of the Odd Fellows and Knights of Columbus.

no clue what that means
Well the Odd Fellows or Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) is an old fraternal organization that comes from England and the US version was started in 1804. The order however has it's roots further back to the 16th and 17th centuries.

I am also a member of the Knights of Columbus. This is an organization started by a Catholic Priest in the 1880's as more of an insurance organization and has also become a service fraternal organization as well. This is a Catholic only fraternal organization and you have to be a practicing Catholic to join.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

dude was a catholic til he died

from drinking too much in his life
JBSlarti
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by JBSlarti »

I drove by the old Odd Fellows home over the weekend, and it’s looking much better than it did in those pics. I didn’t get that close, but I saw the windows had all been replaced and it looked like the exterior at least was being maintained. I was thrilled to see it, because as much as I like abandonments, I’d hate to see that gorgeous old estate go to hell and get torn down.
Lady_Grace
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Lady_Grace »

piplnr65656 wrote:
2. Insane asylum near waynesville.
Has anyone been here yet? I am about 5 minutes from Waynesville. I would love to check it out, but I had never even heard of it...
*sigh*
XOXO!!!

Lady Grace
ember
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ember »

JBSlarti wrote:I can second that the Liberty Odd Fellows home was not an asylum, though the last time I saw it it wasn't in good shape. I live about 10 minutes from it, but haven't been by there in years. Now I'm gonna have to go have a looksee tomorrow.
you live 10 minutes from it... I used to live 10 minutes away from it. I know someone who has it in their backyard just off the top of my head.
zippyelf
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by zippyelf »

The asylum in Florissant is there. I've been. It's v. creepy.
JustLooking
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Asylums and hospitals to check out.

Post by JustLooking »

zippyelf wrote:The asylum in Florissant is there. I've been. It's v. creepy.
Where is it, if you don't mind me asking?
BUDSKi
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by BUDSKi »

ive heard that pretty much everyone knows of the florissant one, which means its sadly been runined.
-BUDSKi
zippyelf
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by zippyelf »

The one in florissant is ruined. Part of it is collapsing.

It's on MacLaren Rd off of Jennings Station... not technically in Florissant.
Burning Leaf
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Burning Leaf »

okay, so i went to the asylum in jennings (the florissant one) last night only to find a newer looking van and SUV parked right next to it. after doing some looking around i found several lights on throughout the building. i eventually tried one of the side doors but immediately a mean sounding dog began to bark furiously from inside. so i jumped in my car and booked out of there. perhaps it is undergoing renovation? i saw construction-type materials inside through some windows. i was there around midnight.

so then after a *quick* pit stop to the Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Hyde Park and the Avalon (which i didn't get into) i ended up at Chesterfield Manor. after playing ring around the rosie with a couple cops i got inside. very creepy. lots of "ghost" noises and grunting/wailing sounds. very satisfying. so, does anyone know what is up with the Jennings/Florissant asylum? and i heard rumors that the Chesterfield Manor is going to be torn down. can this be confirmed?
memory_machine
Resident Douchebag
Resident Douchebag

Post by memory_machine »

Chesterfield Manor has been about to be torn down for years. Never seems to happen.

I've tried to find the "asylum" off of Jennings Station a few times with no luck. Is it a big place or what, because if it's there I must've driven past it.
Burning Leaf
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Burning Leaf »

memory, i pmed you. the asylum there is very much still standing.
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

the pics of that lodge look like a run-down version of my old dorm at drury! - wallace hall

i think this post holds the record for the most versions of how to spell orphan! :)