Union Grove Community Center

Urban exploration in Arkansas
Chillindave
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Union Grove Community Center

Post by Chillindave »

Hey everyone! Got another one for ya. I accidentally found this one. I was on my way to Camden and spotted it off to the side of the road and had to stop to investigate. It actually turned out to be worth the trouble. Here's my link : http://arkansas.rightanglepro.com/UnionGrove.html
Attachments
DSC01649_jpg.jpg
DSC01649_jpg.jpg (60.68 KiB) Viewed 5612 times
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Union Grove Community Center

Post by Willard »

It is ashame, but that's what you call poor people... after a while people move away from an area and the things the community worked so hard to accomplish just get left and forgotten about. I'm afraid it happens all of the time... I know near Steelville Mo, there is an abandoned 1960's school building sitting by the highway and it looks like it would have been a decent facility still if it had been taken care of. I also see this more commonly in Colorado. Tons of abandoned towns, mines, mining equipment, train tunnels, abandoned railroad lines... you name it and there's an over abundance of abandoned things in the Colorado Mountains.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
S1L3N7B0B
Lunch Box
Lunch Box

Re: RE: Union Grove Community Center

Post by S1L3N7B0B »

Willard wrote:I also see this more commonly in Colorado. Tons of abandoned towns, mines, mining equipment, train tunnels, abandoned railroad lines... you name it and there's an over abundance of abandoned things in the Colorado Mountains.
Gilman in particular...the motherload. Is there anything that even comes close to what Gilman is?
We might die from medication
But we sure killed all the pain ~ Conor Oberst
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Try St. Elmo, or a bunch of old mining camps around there, or the Leadville area... Near Leadville out by Turquois Lake there is an old railroad bed that goes up to where the highest and longest wooden railroad trussel used to be (it hadn't been used in 100 years and had colapsed a long time ago). The line used to go from Leadville to Aspen mainly for mining purposes.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
S1L3N7B0B
Lunch Box
Lunch Box

Post by S1L3N7B0B »

Nothing I can find actually shows the mining part of Gilman. I think everyone seems to believe a majority of Gilman is all the buildings from the 70s. It's in the UE DB at UER.

http://www.uer.ca/locations/show.asp?locid=20133
thetrio
Whiskey Tango
Whiskey Tango

Post by thetrio »

Damn uer and this level 3 nonsense! :?
I went over to the dark side, but just to pick up a few things.
S1L3N7B0B
Lunch Box
Lunch Box

Post by S1L3N7B0B »

I figured that would come into play. :(

You could just take my word and believe that it's one of the things i would like to explore someday. But it's probably going to be torn down soon anyway. Some contractor bought it and wants to build houses on the land.
thetrio
Whiskey Tango
Whiskey Tango

Post by thetrio »

Sorry to bring that into play but it is a little frustrating sometimes. I will take your word for it, and hopefully will meet some of you level 3ers soon so I can prove myself worthy of looking at the real database on uer. Or maybe not. :D
I went over to the dark side, but just to pick up a few things.