Cave system under Harrison?

Urban exploration in Arkansas
jew
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Cave system under Harrison?

Post by jew »

Growing up here I had always heard rumors of a large cave system under Harrison, AR but never had any confirmation. Anyone here know anything about this?
Spinner
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Cave system under Harrison?

Post by Spinner »

jew wrote:Anyone here know anything about this?
Yep.
Ford Prefect
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Cave system under Harrison?

Post by Ford Prefect »

Is that where all the "K"lansmen went?
"Go where you think you want to go, do everything you were sent here for. Fire will and you hear that call, touch your hand to the wall at night." I'm a dork, and if you are a dork too, you just read some of my shit, don't get me wrong though!
ARLT1YJ
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by ARLT1YJ »

There are many cave systems in NWA, including Harrison all the way up to Carroll cty. Most have not been mapped or even located yet. The most recent rumor i've heard is a large underground river that runs from Lake Leatherwood to an unknown location.

I know of a cave on some private property outside of Eureka Springs that has been explored 75 yds. deep - then the cave had a vertical drop (a big vertical drop) and the bottom was unable to be seen. This may contain access to the underground river system previously mentioned.

The Ozarks have so many caves and potential for caves because of the Karst system. (Limestone is easily eaten away from rain h20.)
ARLT1YJ
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by ARLT1YJ »

Acutally, this link will lead you to what you're looking for, JEW.
http://www.hurricanerivercave.com/
Split
Personality
Personality

Post by Split »

Spinner wrote:
Yep.
That's it? Just "yep". You asshole, give some more details.
Spinner
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Spinner »

Split wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Yep.
That's it? Just "yep". You asshole, give some more details.
Look here you little skinny rat bastard, I didn't say I knew anything about the alleged cave system. Jew asked if "anyone" here knew anything about it. I answered with a yep because someone here probably does, just not me. :wink:
Split
Personality
Personality

Post by Split »

:roll:
jew
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by jew »

Thanks for the Hurricane River Cave link, ARLT1YJ, but that's actually not what I was looking for. After talking with some people, it turns out that I have been in part of the cave system before, but stopped when I reached a cave-in. According to some people that have been in there years ago, it goes all under the center of town. Wish I could get in.
ARLT1YJ
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by ARLT1YJ »

What town are you talking about, jew?
ARLT1YJ
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by ARLT1YJ »

Nevermind, Harrison I assume
LadyDragonsblood
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by LadyDragonsblood »

I haven't been on this site in quite a while..but being as I lived in Harrison all my life....yes I do something about this topic...

There IS a vast cave system under Harrison. One of the more famous parts is Major's Cave. The only way to get to the entrance is walking up the creek bank from the Babtist Church low water bridge. (going west like you were walking down Hwy. 7 So.)....it's not too far from the low water bridge.

There is an underground lake there....or so I have been told...I have never been in it, but my exhubby was once...it is not reccomened though that you go in there alone.

I know there are active caving groups in the Harrison area...just ask at the Chamber of Commerce.
LadyDragonsblood

"Come on now Alice, your probably making a meatloaf out of a hamburger" Sam "The Butcher" Franklin
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Yay! LadyDragonsblood is back! :D
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
jasper81
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by jasper81 »

In 1982- while working for an old guy that lived on south spruce or maple street- about 3-4 blocks west of the old high school -my truck made a hole about 3x3 ft. in the guy's back yard. My brother and I stuck our head in with a flashlight and it looked like a scene from goonies- there were rotten supports and a few broken jars and stuff. I had never heard of mines in that area or anything- maybe a civil war escape route? It was probably about 8-9 ft. high and 6 ft wide and very uniform.

On another note- I have been told that before the big flood of 61 or 62, there was an opening between wilson spring and Hudspeth motors that men carried parts of a boat and assembled it in the cave and floated a ways-
ARLT1YJ
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by ARLT1YJ »

Welcome to the board, Jasper. It's nice to have another member from AR.

Your story was pretty interesting about the underground storage that you found. Did the old guy let you and your brother explore the space, or was it not an option? My first guess would be a simple, underground storage area for a farming family where they'd keep canned goods and the like. The second possibility would be a storm/tornado bunker, but i dunno.