Tunnels under Little Rock

Urban exploration in Arkansas
Chillindave
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Tunnels under Little Rock

Post by Chillindave »

I was talking to a plumber today and he was telling me that he's heard there are extensive tunnels big enough to drive a truck through under Little Rock. He couldn't confirm it, but has been told that. Now I've wondered for some time now what kind of tunnel system Little Rock might have, but I don't have a clue where they dump out at. The only one I've ever seen is a not-so-big one that dumps out in the Arkansas River by one of the old train trussels.

If anyone might be able to give me some tips on how to find them or knows anything about these, either post a reply or PM me. Thanks.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Tunnels under Little Rock

Post by Willard »

If the one that dumps in to the Arkansas River is big enough start crawling in there and see where it leads... who knows?
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Chillindave
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Tunnels under Little Rock

Post by Chillindave »

Willard wrote:If the one that dumps in to the Arkansas River is big enough start crawling in there and see where it leads... who knows?
Well, there's a bit of a problem with that . . . about a 20 ft. straight drop to it, continuous flow of water, and no chance of rapelling down to it. . . it's in Riverfront Park.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

oh... sorry, I've never been to Little Rock so I don't really have any other ideas for you...
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Sounds pretty cool to me. If I went to Little Rock more, I'd totally get myself into that drain.
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

WR, you'd be the one of the few crazy enough to rapell down to it with water rushing out. :wink:
Ford Prefect
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Ford Prefect »

It's not that hard to get into, I've done it. It gets peculiar going down the river bank, but it can be done. Water is not always rushing out, just when and after it rains. It is worth it though. If anyone wants to come down and see drop a line. There is some other cool shit too!
RyanB.
"Go where you think you want to go, do everything you were sent here for. Fire will and you hear that call, touch your hand to the wall at night." I'm a dork, and if you are a dork too, you just read some of my shit, don't get me wrong though!
ico
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ico »

i was near the river front today and i remembered this thread and thought i would try to find the tunnel with my friend. didnt take us long to find what seemed to fit the other posters' description. it was right next to that big blue thing on the river, and was pretty easy to get to. no rapelling necessary, just a little bit of a climb down some rocks, but nothing requiring a lot of effort.

once we got to the entrance there was water dropping from a ledge about 10 feet up right when you get in, but there is a built in steel ladder to climb up, at this point the water was only about and inch or 2 deep.

we climbed up and took a look but it was pitch dark, couldnt see past 10 feet so we went to target and bought a flashlight and came back. about 15-20 feet in it becomes just a big tube-like tunnel that technically could fit a car in, but it is cylinder shaped so the ground isnt flat. at this point the water got about ankle deep and so we had to go slow so we didnt soak our shoes (we really werent prepared.)

we only went in about 50 yards cause my friend was already late for work and had to go, but at the point we stoppped it started to get pretty foggy and got hard to see. i think we're going back tonight with more flashlights and another friend. my only concern is that someone somewhere will release some huge ass water supply and kill us all with a tidal wave, but it seems unlikely. the way its built it just seems more like a drainage tunnel for when it rains.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Did you guys ever go back? I'm curious to hear where it went.
ico
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ico »

yeah we went back that night with some more flashlights and a camera. the scenery pretty much stays the same for about half a mile until it forks and the tunnel turns from cyllinder to square shaped. this is where all the drains you see on the side of streets go, there were ladders leading up to them about every 20 yards or so. it was all right, but nothing exciting. about the most exciting part of the night was when we were coming out. a flashlight shined down on us and we looked up to see a cop. we held up our camera on a tripod and said we were taking pictures of the river, and he responded with "have you guys seen a naked guy running around here?"

but if you do decide to go, be prepared to be wading through ankle deep water about 90% of the time.
Chillindave
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Chillindave »

I finally went in to check them out today. Pretty cool. The water is crystal clear and smells of clorine. The tunnel goes all the way from the river to Interstate 630, where it forks. The square tunnel to the left heads east and is about 4ft. X 5 ft. The one to the right heads west along I-630 and is about 7ft x 8ft. It actually crosses under I-630 at one point and runs quite a long ways. It slopes up at one point to about 6ft high, then again a ways further to about 5 ft. high, which is where I stopped and turned around. I'm 5'11" and I wasn't fixing to bend over any more and try walking. The water is ankle deep in the main drain, then drops down to about 1 or 2 inches in the split tunnels. I did some filming and hope to get the video posted soon, but my spot light had a lower battery than thought, so I was at a loss of light for the camcorder.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

That sounds awesome, Dave. Can you ballpark how far you walked?
Chillindave
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Chillindave »

I just finished watching the video and it suks. I really needed my spotlight for adequate light. If some explorers in LR wanna meet up with me, I'll go back with them and re-shoot the footage with a CHARGED spotlight. It just wasn't that much fun exploring alone. PM me if you'd be interested in going.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

Chillindave wrote:I just finished watching the video and it suks. I really needed my spotlight for adequate light. If some explorers in LR wanna meet up with me, I'll go back with them and re-shoot the footage with a CHARGED spotlight. It just wasn't that much fun exploring alone. PM me if you'd be interested in going.
You might try a kerosene lantern. They're almost as bright and the light goes in every direction. Plus they last a lot longer. Hot as hell with one of them in a cramped tunnel, though.
Chillindave
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Chillindave »

White Rabbit wrote:That sounds awesome, Dave. Can you ballpark how far you walked?
I mesured it on my GPS software and it says it's barely under 1 mile to where it T's off. I don't know how far the tunnel to the right went, because I couldn't look out the road drains near where I turned back. They all had water pouring down them and I didn't feel like getting soaked.

By guessing, I would say it was about another half mile or so heading west.