Crappy little cave southa town

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Reggie
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Crappy little cave southa town

Post by Reggie »

Me and Penrose and Nate went into this cave a little while back. It pretty much sucked, so maybe I can save some of you the trouble of checking it out in case you hear about it elsewhere. Or maybe ya'll already know about it. Or maybe you get bored and want to see it anyway.
We had to repel down maybe 'bout 25 feet pretty much straight down. Really put a hurtin on the groin. And then the cave barely went anywhere. Maybe 15 yards back and then there was a little 3 foot diameter hole that went back farther if you could manage to climb this steep wall of clay mud. I was the only one to make it up, so I explored the little tunnel. It pretty much sucked crawling around in there and then it ended about 30 feet later with a cave-in. So that's pretty much the story, and here is where it is:

LINK!

LINK!

You follow the sinkhole at the fork in the road across the field into the trees and follow the creek a while till you see the big hole in the ground.

BTW
I would still like directions to that Conway cave or whatever it is, if anybody would oblige. reddog1299 at hotmail dot com.
THX
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

RE: Crappy little cave southa town

Post by White Rabbit »

I thought this was going to be the Erie sinkhole from the way you were describing it, but this is a new one on me. Sounds fairly cool. I'd definitely like to check it out.
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

RE: Crappy little cave southa town

Post by Sertile »

Topo refers to that place as "Avin Sink." Sink as in sinkhole, I suppose. Also, if you look on that Terraserver link, switch to topo, zoom out a couple of notches, and go up a screen you'll find a "Shelf Cave" in the cliffside due north of there by the riverside. That might be worth checking out the next time you're in the neighborhood, Reggie.