Sinkhole and cave behind Wal-Mart in Springfield

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Spectral
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Spectral »

Hehe, and a good time was had by all. Now we just need to find the entrances on Pineburst and behind Albertson's...
clutch cargo
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by clutch cargo »

Jipsta wrote:I grew up on Pinehurst street, and the sinkhole was always the cool place to play. We never actually went in it, but I know others who have. From what I've heard, the cave runs from Wal-mart due west. Several sink holes dot the path. You'll find sinkholes on Pinehurst, one on rockwood (this isn't a sinkhole but a very large depression in the soil), one on Parkhill Street (has been filled in with rocks), and I believe one in the field behind the old smitty's on battlefield.
Quick intro: I grew up in Springfield, and now live in KC. :-)

There are even more sinkholes west of there, especially just north and south of Walnut Lawn between Golden and whatever street that runs just west of Kansas Expressway. While going to SMS I worked for the city doing manhole inspection (and thus got to see a ton of city up close) and we came upon a brand new one right off of where the railroad used to cross Walnut Lawn (to the north, about 1/4 mile). The fence that bordered the railroad easement was suspended in the air above the sinkhole. Very cool!

I'll be back in Springfield to visit my parents at the end of March - I'll go see if it's still there if no one beats me to it.

While working for the city I walked through the Jordan Creek drain, used to the visit the Albino Farm/Winoka in High School, and just love this site.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

clutch cargo wrote:There are even more sinkholes west of there, especially just north and south of Walnut Lawn between Golden and whatever street that runs just west of Kansas Expressway. While going to SMS I worked for the city doing manhole inspection (and thus got to see a ton of city up close) and we came upon a brand new one right off of where the railroad used to cross Walnut Lawn (to the north, about 1/4 mile). The fence that bordered the railroad easement was suspended in the air above the sinkhole. Very cool!
Right after we checked out the Erie Sinkhole, Raven found a map of all the sinkholes in Springfield. We both spent a lot of time driving around looking for them, but most had either been filled in or were just big depressions in the ground.

Are any of the ones you're describing more than that? I'd definitely like to find some more good sinkholes, because that Erie one was one of the coolest things we checked out. I had to rappel down into the thing:

http://www.undergroundozarks.com/erie.html
While working for the city I walked through the Jordan Creek drain, used to the visit the Albino Farm/Winoka in High School, and just love this site.
Thanks man, and welcome. Stick around :)
clutch cargo
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by clutch cargo »

White Rabbit wrote: Thanks man, and welcome. Stick around :)
You're welcome!

Can I download a copy of that map anywhere?

I'll be in town on 5/1 - send me an email or a PM and we can get together for a beer.

One of the coolest things in the SW Springfield area when I was a teenager was a bridge just east of Wilsons Creek. It was old, iron, and long. The actual surface of the bridge was parallel wooden boards, making for a hairy crossing! Unfortunately it's gone now, torn down around the early 90's. :-(
clutch cargo
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by clutch cargo »

White Rabbit wrote: Are any of the ones you're describing more than that? I'd definitely like to find some more good sinkholes, because that Erie one was one of the coolest things we checked out. I had to rappel down into the thing:

http://www.undergroundozarks.com/erie.html
This one had a definite opening in the ground, although at the time I'm not sure if it was big enough to fit into. I'll find out for you though.

I've seen the Erie sinkhole before, but never went down in it!

After growing up in the Springfield the geography of everywhere else is just boring, ya know?
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Post by White Rabbit »

clutch cargo wrote:Can I download a copy of that map anywhere?
http://www.ci.springfield.mo.us/egov/pu ... nkhole.pdf
I'll be in town on 5/1 - send me an email or a PM and we can get together for a beer.
Sure thing. Why so long till you're in town?
This one had a definite opening in the ground, although at the time I'm not sure if it was big enough to fit into. I'll find out for you though.
Well, they don't have to be like the Erie one. I'd just like to find some that haven't been turned into a flat pile of gravel by the city, which seems like most of the ones I've found. Even a big crater would be nice.
clutch cargo
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by clutch cargo »

White Rabbit wrote:Sure thing. Why so long till you're in town?
Well, I was just down there a couple of weekends ago. The wife gets antsy if we spend every other weekend with my family. :-)
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Re: Sinkhole and cave behind Wal-Mart in Springfield

Post by Sertile »

UPDATE: I was out at the Erie St. Sinkhole today, and for those who haven't noticed, the city has completely redone the whole outside area. The fence has been replaced and is more secure than the original, and the drainage dam has been completely replaced with a newer design (a few large grated tunnels rather than several smaller pipes). In addition, the large concrete area that kids used to skateboard on has been completely removed and replaced by sod. You can still get in to the sinkhole of course, but it won't be as easy as it used to be.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/