tunnels in Fayettville

Urban exploration in Arkansas
the_stuart
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

tunnels in Fayettville

Post by the_stuart »

These two railroad tunnels are located just off of sixth street in Fayettville Arkansas at the end of a little dirt road. You can see Fayettville high school through the trees when you are standing in front of the one that hasn't been filled in. I asked some kids I know that go to Fayettville high if they knew about the tunnel and they said of coarse, so it isn't a big secret or anything. It's in the middle of hobo alley though, so if you go, be prepared to meet up with a homeless person.

Here is where it's at:
36.055474 -94.173399
Attachments
This bridge would connect to the road that went through the filled in tunnel. There is a precarious pile of rail road ties there too, which I wasn't brave enough to climb over.
This bridge would connect to the road that went through the filled in tunnel. There is a precarious pile of rail road ties there too, which I wasn't brave enough to climb over.
railroad tie bridge.jpg (65.18 KiB) Viewed 6402 times
back of filled in tunnel.jpg
back of filled in tunnel.jpg (60.06 KiB) Viewed 6402 times
This tunnel is completely filled in with rocks and debris and also goes under the tracks. It's at the end of the dirt road you take to get to this place. If you look at google maps you can see that there used to be a road that went straight through here,
This tunnel is completely filled in with rocks and debris and also goes under the tracks. It's at the end of the dirt road you take to get to this place. If you look at google maps you can see that there used to be a road that went straight through here,
filled in tunnel.jpg (43.39 KiB) Viewed 6402 times
This tunnel runs under the train tracks and is completely hidden by overgrowth. I came to this place twice before I even discovered it. I think it must have been a train tunnel at some point, it seems way too intricate for just a small creek.
This tunnel runs under the train tracks and is completely hidden by overgrowth. I came to this place twice before I even discovered it. I think it must have been a train tunnel at some point, it seems way too intricate for just a small creek.
tunnel2.jpg (53.13 KiB) Viewed 6402 times
tunnel.jpg
tunnel.jpg (32.72 KiB) Viewed 6402 times
FiReDiVeR
I Need A Title!
I Need A Title!

Re: tunnels in Fayettville

Post by FiReDiVeR »

Nice find. The pics are good to, do you have any idea what is down the hill past the pile of rail ties?
Ford Prefect
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: tunnels in Fayettville

Post by Ford Prefect »

Hey Stuart, nice find! I've found some similar sites here in Little Rock, next time you are in town call me and I will show them to you.
Ryan B.
"Go where you think you want to go, do everything you were sent here for. Fire will and you hear that call, touch your hand to the wall at night." I'm a dork, and if you are a dork too, you just read some of my shit, don't get me wrong though!
the_stuart
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by the_stuart »

FiReDiVeR-
Keep in mind this is right next to one of the main roads in Fayettville. There used to be a bunch of abandoned houses and stuff over there up until about 6th months ago until a couple of accidental blazes inexsplicably occured. I have seen the fire department over there more than once standing idol while an old house burned down before I knew the tunnels were there. You can still see them on Google Maps becuase those satellite shots are old. Now the land has been cleared for developement. I really wish I had known about this place then because I think the tunnel was filled up kind of recently like within a year or two.

Ryan-
Yeah that would be awesome. Have you been to the barroid mines near Hot Srpings? Thats going to be my next trip next time I'm down there.
Ford Prefect
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Ford Prefect »

Cool, I've heard of them, and seen pictures, but have never been. I know a guy that knows how to get there, he gave me directions once. Let me know and I'd love to join you.
Ryan B.
"Go where you think you want to go, do everything you were sent here for. Fire will and you hear that call, touch your hand to the wall at night." I'm a dork, and if you are a dork too, you just read some of my shit, don't get me wrong though!
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Re: tunnels in Fayettville

Post by White Rabbit »

Nice find! I'll have to see that next time I'm in the Fayetteville area.

I'm a little confused, though. These are train tunnels or something else?
the_stuart
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by the_stuart »

White Rabbit-

There is a train track that is still in use that runs over them. I'm assuming they were built for a road or something since they are so intricate, epecially the one with the creek running through it and, there is a peice of railroad track in the creek too. I need to go to the library and dig up some old maps and find out, just haven't had the time.
Ford Prefect
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Ford Prefect »

I doubt they are transit. Most likely, drainage, pre-30's. Most engineering firms put alot of thought into their designs at this time, and that means they came standard. What I mean, is that they would accept a bid, length, spans, and transit type. Not to mention what they were building over. All in all, they would have a pre fabricated rendering, so to speak, as to what they would build. This is what I miss most of bridge building, Because it made it so much more personal. Although, at the same time, not really. My point is that modern bridges are all the same, unlike these that had characteristics of their own.
Ryan B.
anarchy_in_the_uk
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by anarchy_in_the_uk »

So how would I get there?
TooMuchCoffee
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by TooMuchCoffee »

The Stuart wrote:
Keep in mind this is right next to one of the main roads in Fayettville. There used to be a bunch of abandoned houses and stuff over there up until about 6th months ago until a couple of accidental blazes inexsplicably occured. I have seen the fire department over there more than once standing idol while an old house burned down before I knew the tunnels were there.
Actually, a few years ago, we had a series of arson fires in that area used to distract everyone while the arsonists broke into and robbed some other businesses.
As for the standing around idol, the new owners of the property allowed us to train in the old structures before they razed them. In Arkansas, you can just burn the building down if you allow the local FD use the structure as a training site instead of tearing it down. Much cheaper. We conducted several "live burn" exercises and eventually allowed the structures to burn down when we finished, per the owners request. New condos are going in.
As for the tunnels, the city is putting in multi use trails along the old railroad lines and spur lines. These tunnels could be incorperated into the trail system.
"Anyone else smell that?"