Buffalo River Caves

Urban exploration in Arkansas
ambrosian_spelunker
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Buffalo River Caves

Post by ambrosian_spelunker »

Located some pictures of caves in the bluff lines of the Buffalo River. Does anyone here know of these caves or how to locate them. I have the pictures and I am looking to locate them. The document was under Midwest Archeological Center, the Buffalo River Cave Mouth Inventory. I am looking for those and a few other I have learned about. There is one cave along the Buffalo that the opening has been concreted like a doorway for an opening it's not gated it may have been used long ago, I saw the pictures on line. Seeking any knowledge of caves in this area or along Richland Creek I do know there are several in that area.
They called it domesticated, tamed, feminized ... is there a pill I can take to get rid of it??
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: Buffalo River Caves

Post by BROUSER »

I've scanned the bluffs from canoe from Ponca to Pruitt and didn't see any significant openings, but that doesn't mean I didn't miss them.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
ambrosian_spelunker
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

RE: Buffalo River Caves

The one I have seen in pictures is high on the bluff line. There are pictures of the interior of the cave. I really want to find the location of this one!!!

Here's the link check it out: www.cr.nps.gov/mwac/field_seas_2003/buff/index.html

Interested in helping locate it?
They called it domesticated, tamed, feminized ... is there a pill I can take to get rid of it??
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I'm tentatively planning a float in September. I'll see what I can find on caves down that way. I'm guessing that is below Pruitt, where I would probably have to float anyway with this years water levels. If I find out anything will let you know.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

I seem to recall one cliff on the way to Mt. Hersey that was called Skull Bluff due to an arrangement of three cave openings on the bluff. That's the only one I can think of off hand.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

I've seen pictures off that one. Very small openings down by the water.
― Ken Ham
Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

I'm fairly certain there's a cave on one of the bluffs overlooking Gilbert. At least, that's what the topos tell me. There's actually a cave I was looking for in the area a while back, and I think that may be it, but I haven't yet had a chance to see the reality on the ground.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

I also vaguely remember canoeing past a big one right on the water at some point... I have no idea where though. We did sixty miles that trip, and it all kind of blurs together.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
greenbush
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by greenbush »

http://www.cr.nps.gov/mwac/field_2004/buff/buff/22.html

"A historic dump"

Hell, there's a lot more history in Arkansas than I ever knew... big history pile just down the hill from where I grew up :lol:

(thanks for the link btw, good stuff)
kc0uxr
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by kc0uxr »

If you go upstream from pruitt you will find some caves.... not sure if this is the one you are looking for. Cant remember... I used to live just north of Dogpatch on Hwy 7. I know if you go to Pruitt, just before you come to the bridge, hang a right...the road there winds back in thru the river valley if you explore in the areas you will find several small caves & one larger one,
ambrosian_spelunker
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Thanx, I'm not quiet sure if I know exactly where your talking about but I am sure I will find it. Is anyone familiar with caves around Buffalo Point area? I've done some extensive research and have documented several caves locally along the bluffs and water line. Some back on the creeks that flow into the main river.

There's a cave that has a concrete opening, ift appears as if at one time it was either gated or was used for other purposes. I have seen pictures of it but no luck on the location. It is supposed to be right on the Buffalo through the woods a bit. If anyone has any ideas would love to get that information.

I have a map pf arkansas and all counties are highlighted with the total number of known cave systems that are numbered and documented. Baxter County seems to have a large number of systems. The local area of the Buffalo also has numerous systems.
kc0uxr
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by kc0uxr »

Being from the Buffallo river area all my life... both in the Harrison - Jasper area & Hwy 14 (Between Yelleville & Marshall) I know of several caves. The best ones I have found are close to Buffalo river near Cozahome, AR.
exconghost
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by exconghost »

I'm new to this site, but there is a HUGE cave in the Upper Buffalo Wilderness, approx. 2 miles south of Boxley, it is open to the public during the summer (for 3 months) but closed the rest of the year :twisted: .
you need ropes to get to some of the cave
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

WR, others, I still think a camping excursion to Lost Valley is in order. I'm thinking with a little research, we could find a lot to keep us busy for whatever time we'd care to spend down there.
― Ken Ham
ambrosian_spelunker
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Bouser: WR, others, I still think a camping excursion to Lost Valley is in order.
I would agree to that one, the areas loaded with possibilities! I have been to a few there nothing major but I am told if you hike pretty far back in there's more worth seeing..... not sure if it's fact or just a slip of the tongue.
exconghost: HUGE cave in the Upper Buffalo Wilderness, approx. 2 miles south of Boxley, it is open to the public
So just where is the one located that's open to the public. By the way welcome exconghost!
kc0uxr: The best ones I have found are close to Buffalo river near Cozahome, AR.
Okay just where the H-E- double hockey sticks is that???