got to start somewhere

Urban exploration in Missouri
slow_walker
Shyest Street Sofa Champion Ever!

got to start somewhere

Post by slow_walker »

:oops: this is actually very lame, but I guess a lame start is better than no start at all. I did my first "abandoned building" entry this week. It's a gas station. Woo Hoo. Do I at least get credit for it being right on the main highway in the middle of the day?
Attachments
inside station 2.jpg
inside station 2.jpg (49.68 KiB) Viewed 6575 times
inside station 1.jpg
inside station 1.jpg (38.86 KiB) Viewed 6575 times
piplnr65656
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: got to start somewhere

Post by piplnr65656 »

Good job slow_walker. We need more people out exploring. It dose not matter what it is that you are exploring but the fact that you are out doing it.
whipping_post
The Corruptor
The Corruptor

Post by whipping_post »

Exactly. Nice pics (especially of the sinkhole from earlier).
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Is that the old abandoned gas station that faces I-44 close to exit 107 between Marshfield and Conway? Also this was the realinement of US 66 back in the 1950's before they started turning it into interstate. It was just a 2-lane highway and that's why there's a gas station right there.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Hiccup
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: got to start somewhere

Post by Hiccup »

pokey pup, i heart you :)
Barracuda
Saucy
Saucy

Post by Barracuda »

That's more than I've done, slow. I still haven't popped my explore cherry. :roll:
"Now, get your hand back on your penis and resume jerking." -Fiti
HMndnproud
Big Chief Little Shit
Big Chief Little Shit

Post by HMndnproud »

We used to do a bit of exploring, before the kids. We found where Belle Starr (she was an outlaw, killed in 1889) was buried, went through some old houses, almost lost my car on a bridge that was not meant for motor traffic. We just can't find the time for that sort of thing now. :(
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

From most of the pictures I have seen posted on here, the only thing you missed would be a picture of a dirty toilet. This seems to be vital when posting pictures of abandoned buildings.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
slow_walker

Re: RE: got to start somewhere

Post by slow_walker »

Willard wrote:Is that the old abandoned gas station that faces I-44 close to exit 107 between Marshfield and Conway?
Actually, this one is in a little town by the name of Seligman, Mo. It is 2 miles from the Arkansas state line in southern Barry County. Hwy 37 is the main hwy from Monett, Mo to the Arkansas border and it used to go directly through downtown Seligman. But about 15 years ago or so, they re-routed it around the town due to a dangerous "s" curve that was created because main street wound through some old buildings. So, all of the businesses on main street died out and moved over to the new hwy.
There are actually several really cool old buildings in Seligman that have been there since the town was first established. But because it's a white trash town (no offense to anyone of you who may live in Seligman) most of those old buildings are actually being lived in - busted out windows and all. There is one that used to be a hotel on main street that is not being lived in and would be awesome to check out. But I've heard it's filled with junk and it's right next to the buildings that are being lived in, so I'm sure it is unattainable.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

BROUSER wrote:From most of the pictures I have seen posted on here, the only thing you missed would be a picture of a dirty toilet. This seems to be vital when posting pictures of abandoned buildings.
Don't forget that Hiccup has to be seated on said toilet!

Sertile
Sinkhole Violator
Sinkhole Violator

Post by Sertile »

Heh, I explored a gas station not too long ago myself. I've been exploring a lot of random stuff lately, just out in the boonies. It's getting harder and harder to find big stuff nearby, and I'm always hesitant to go too far afield.

I've been having a lot of fun, though, and that's what counts.
Latest Update - Camp Wellfleet, Freshbrook Village: http://undergroundozarks.com/blog/sertile/
slow_walker

Post by slow_walker »

Sertile wrote: I've been having a lot of fun, though, and that's what counts.
that's exactly how I feel :)
Hiccup
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Hiccup »

yep, i always say this but i just love getting physical and dirty, man. its so much fun. and being outdoors. and almost always being with super cool people. it pretty much doesnt matter what's being explored, but just the fact that something is being explored and that theres fun involved :D
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

Hiccup wrote:yep, i always say this but i just love getting physical and dirty, man. its so much fun. and being outdoors. and almost always being with super cool people. it pretty much doesnt matter what's being explored, but just the fact that something is being explored and that theres fun involved :D
Yeah... she really likes exploring strange holes too... :shock:

Hiccup
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Hiccup »

just rabbit holes