Glenco North Tunnel Quarry

Urban exploration in Missouri
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Glenco North Tunnel Quarry

Post by Headframe Hunters »

This site is located in Jefferson County, near Pevely. As best I can tell, it was worked into the mid-1950s, and produced crushed limestone from a pair of underground mines. The south mine is located on fenced private property, and based on the office trailer at the entrance and tracked equipment I could hear moving underground, is not exactly inactive (though for what, I don't know - it doesn't show up on the MSHA list).

The north mine is a different story, and is neither posted nor fenced. We had to cross a small creek to get to it, then climb some eroded slopes and walk a ways. This mine was spectacular enough to be worth it, though.

Lots of undergrowth here!

From outside - it doesn't go in more than a few hundred feet at most.

From inside -- the back has to be forty feet high!

Foot-deep water can be found in part of this mine.

Deeper in, we get to see what subsidence looks like from a miner's-eye view!

In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: Glenco North Tunnel Quarry

Post by BagHead727 »

Been in those about 20 times. It's a pretty fun place and is better when the water level is higher. It creates a sort of maze in the mine and makes it difficult to get to the very back of it. All the more fun

My dad initially informed me about this location and said he explored it with my mom back in the 1980s while my mom was 8 months pregnant. Probably not a good idea
aka "That Guy"
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Headframe Hunters wrote:
Deeper in, we get to see what subsidence looks like from a miner's-eye view!
You ever try to crawl out of that hole? My friend did once upon a time:
aka "That Guy"
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

:lol: :lol:

I can't say that trying to do that occurred to me! There's an expensive subdivision up there, would be funny if you popped behind someone's house.

Lucy0880
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Lucy0880 »

First post! :) Visited here for the first time recently, very cool location. There are horses in front of the entrances now though
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Lucy0880 wrote:First post! :) Visited here for the first time recently, very cool location. There are horses in front of the entrances now though
Welcome to Underground Ozarks! That's an interesting development for sure. I wonder if the horses belong to a resident or residents of that subdivision?

Lucy0880
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Lucy0880 »

I have no idea - they didn't attack us when we went in to explore so they were at least friendly haha

I did notice a camera as well though on one side of the entrance so its def. being watched. After reviewing some other threads though, I think there are 2 locations in the area like this and I'm not sure which one I visited.
Lucy0880
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Lucy0880 »

I think I visited the south mine after reviewing Google Maps
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Lucy0880 wrote:I have no idea - they didn't attack us when we went in to explore so they were at least friendly haha

I did notice a camera as well though on one side of the entrance so its def. being watched. After reviewing some other threads though, I think there are 2 locations in the area like this and I'm not sure which one I visited.
If there was a camera in an entrance, you definitely visited the south mine. We spotted that camera from across the creek; I'd brought binoculars and spent a while observing activity before deciding to go for the north mine.

Out of curiosity, was there still an office trailer there?

Lucy0880
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Lucy0880 »

There was a trailer off the side nowhere near the camera. I'm not sure if it was the one you saw though. We walked around for quite a bit and never saw anyone. I did notice that the horses didn't have water so I'm not sure when the last time anyone was there even.
Natez28
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Glenco North Tunnel Quarry

Post by Natez28 »

I scouted this place put the other day. couldn't find the north entrance. only saw the entrances on private property and the horse/fenced area near the T in the road when u pull up and can go left or right. I saw the creek spoken of though. Someone want to msg me some info on where to find the entrance not on someone's property?
They Don't Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Pretty sure they're both private property. The park boundary is a couple hundred yards north according to Google maps
aka "That Guy"
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Glenco North Tunnel Quarry

Yeah, looks like you're right, Baghead. Either way, nothing was posted. That close to an apparently unmarked park boundary and on land that's not being used, nobody is likely to really care.

The north mine is located around 38.316500, -90.377905, by the way. It is not visible until you cross the creek and get almost right up on it.