Table Rock Lake

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Table Rock Lake

Post by paul06660 »

So anyways, over the last several years, I have become fascinated in finding remote places to hang out with friends on Table Rock Lake. One of my favorite places to do this is Joe Bald Park, which will most likely be redeveloped in the next few years. If anyone knows of a good and fairly remote place that is accessible by road, feel free to share.
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: Table Rock Lake

Post by Nicotti »

I would think that there would be lots of quiet places on the west side of the lake, not a huge amount of tourism over there.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Table Rock Lake

Post by paul06660 »

Yea just trying to avoid public use areas cause we dislike being around drunken and disruptive crowds. So far Google Earth has helped a few times, but without streetview on some roads, it makes it difficult to determine if some are open or gated.
Mark22
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Mark22 »

Have you driven through the old campground part at Joe Bald?? There are some other places off the beaten path around Cape Fair. Down around Lampe and Baxter there is a few places too. I have some friends that really like the Old 86 campground.
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

Mark22 wrote:Have you driven through the old campground part at Joe Bald?? There are some other places off the beaten path around Cape Fair. Down around Lampe and Baxter there is a few places too. I have some friends that really like the Old 86 campground.
Yea the old Joe Bald campground I like much, especially since it is heavily wooded and on a road that is hidden behind where the pump station use to be. However, with all the plans to revitalize the park, I have been looking for new territory. Yes, I have been to most places around Lampe and Baxter, but usually those are either private property or too well known. Been looking at that remote area around points 9, 12, and 11, only accessible through Barry county. However, until I put a new engine in my Integra, I am limited to pavement, as dirt tears up the sports car pretty bad.
Mark22
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Mark22 »

I don't think they have really any immediate plans to revitalize Joe Bald park. Just wishful thinking. I actually found the old campground last spring while driving around. They torn down the bathrooms sometime last summer. I read through the Corp's master plan for the lake and Joe Bald park really serves them better just being as it is. Plus, I like having a free boat ramp close by... :lol: :lol:
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

Everything is owned by someone, that's the hardest part about exploring, If you really wanna get away from it all get out into one of the Wilderness areas. Hercules Glade east of Branson would be the closest. Of course that requires some hiking. If you are talking about solitary and remote places you can just drive right up to...

Is there such a thing? Seems like no matter how far out there I get, if it's a nice pretty day, I'll run into at least one or two other people.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

forgot about this post until recently. Since then, I have explored several new places around the lake, many down what is known as Stallion Bluff Road in Shell Knob, MO. Pics to come later.
Rimann
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Rimann »

Having grown up a river rat in the Ozarks, I have always been drawn to the rivers more so than the lakes. However, I am becoming more connected with the Tablerock currently. My brother in law lives way out at the end of a peninsula near shell knob and is always showing me new camping spots he finds. Right now I am building a sailing rig for my canoe so that I can explore the coastlines by boat and go investigate interesting spots I find on maps.
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cousin »

The old Kimberling City bridge, is a very secluded place. A little hard and time consuming to get to, but well worth the trip.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

cousin wrote:The old Kimberling City bridge, is a very secluded place. A little hard and time consuming to get to, but well worth the trip.
You mean the one that's underwater? Or are you referring to the current one Hwy 13 one?

-Ayn Rand
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

cousin wrote:The old Kimberling City bridge, is a very secluded place. A little hard and time consuming to get to, but well worth the trip.
You mean the one that's underwater? Or are you referring to the current one Hwy 13 one?

-Ayn Rand
cousin
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Post by cousin »

Nicotti wrote:
The old one, I've dove it a couple times.
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

cousin wrote:
Nicotti wrote:
The old one, I've dove it a couple times.
My understanding is that is a very dangerous dive due to visibility and the depth. Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt that bridge located below 200 feet in depth? In 2014 a diver died after getting separated from their group and died in that area.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

-Ayn Rand