Underground Ozarks Forum Gallery Forum Blog
Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in

Exploring with Drones?
View previous topic | View next topic  
BacktotheFuture4Life
0-99 Poster
Member for: 14 days, 22 hours0-99 Poster

Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Exploring with Drones? Reply with quote

Do you? I think it'd be cool (and safe) to explore abandoned buildings with a drone, especially in a remote region. (Such as those secluded down on islands in the Lake.) Do you guys do it? I would buy a drone, but I'm currently broke. Rolling Eyes
mindwaave
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Locations: Laint Souis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Exploring with Drones? Reply with quote

I've taken my drone out on 2 explores, and have learned that it's not very safe (or simple). Beyond being a significant investment to accidentally crash or lose, drones are easy to spot against a bright daytime sky, and can definitely get you spotted on a property if you aren't cognizant of who/where else can see it. Wouldn't really recommend drones indoors, they'll stir-up dust and be less stable without clear signal from GPS sats.

It is pretty great to have for open areas, and as my videography skills improve, I plan to get more creative use out of it....

BacktotheFuture4Life
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Exploring with Drones? Reply with quote

Wow! That bottom one is interesting... Is it a factory/plant of some sort?
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Locations: St. Louis Area

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Exploring with Drones? Reply with quote

I am just getting into this stuff myself.

I think they could be a very useful tool. A stable GPS camera drone could be a great scouting tool, but like any other explore, you have to be smart about it.

A small indoor camera "selfie" drone could also be fun in a large industrial building. In a place like Armour or the Carondelet Coke plant such a little toy could make for a lot of fun.

I don't really do any "real" exploring any more (hopefully that will change) but I've got a list of places I want to explore with my quad.
BacktotheFuture4Life
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Exploring with Drones? Reply with quote

Wow! Another great shot! Thanks for all of the feedback!
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Exploring with Drones? Reply with quote

mindwaave wrote:

Question for you...when you took the shots of the intake towers, where were you standing? On the COR bridge?

If so, did you have any problems with the steel giving you interference problems?
BacktotheFuture4Life
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Exploring with Drones? Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
mindwaave wrote:

Question for you...when you took the shots of the intake towers, where were you standing? On the COR bridge?

If so, did you have any problems with the steel giving you interference problems?

I was wondering that, too!

mindwaave
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Locations: Laint Souis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Exploring with Drones? Reply with quote

I was actually standing on the island.

Steel may cause some RC interference, but it definitely affects drone compasses during startup. I took-off from the hood of a pickup truck once, and as soon as it got 3 inches of altitude, the drone banked right at full tilt. Got lucky and recalibrated before it crashed. Never start or calibrate drones around ferrous metal lol

Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Exploring with Drones? Reply with quote

I noted when I was flying around McArthur I could not fly over or through the bridge without it getting "squirrelly". I could only fly alongside it.

I once calibrated my compass right on top of a steel rail. Yeah, don't do that!

Jump to:  

Page 1 of 1