Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in

No. 11 Jerome Mine/Plant
View previous topic | View next topic  
Headframe Hunters
0-99 Poster
Member for: 8 months, 18 days0-99 Poster

Locations: Rolla, MO
Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: No. 11 Jerome Mine/Plant Reply with quote

This operation was worked from an undetermined date to around 1996. It was then reopened for short period about five years ago, worked with a few front-end loaders and a portable plant. The plant still on-site dates back to the older operating period. I think MODOT may still use the stockpiled material on the north side of the mine, but cannot confirm this.

We actually did this one over a period of two days; the first time was on the way back from running errands and I was not dressed for exploring. Gym shorts and mines are very much incompatible!

Sign board near the entrance to the pit

The old No. 11 plant; this produced sand and crushed stone. The tall structure in the center seems to have been a secondary jaw crusher

Sand screws in the old plant - these dewatered, washed, and classified sand

Huge electric motors on the secondary crusher

What looks to have been the primary crusher and dump bin - my fiancee climbed the steel retaining wall to the right; I walked up the ramp Laughing

The plant as seen from the primary crusher - a ramped haulage road led up to here to allow trucks or loaders to dump directly into the crusher

Water truck and storage shed just west of the old plant

I believe this dragline bucket was used to mine unconsolidated sand from an embankment on the east side of the mine

Overview of the mine from near the cemetery

archinstl
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Locations: Kirkwood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: RE: No. 11 Jerome Mine/Plant Reply with quote

It still amazes me, as a former small business-person (operated a bicycle store for 30 years in StL), how so much steel material (and machines) can simply be abandoned.
Do they have no value in scrapping?
Of course, this particular site is not alone.
What am I missing?
At least one would think the metal could be recycled? That would seem to be some bucks?
Headframe Hunters
0-99 Poster
Member for: 8 months, 18 days0-99 Poster

Locations: Rolla, MO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: RE: No. 11 Jerome Mine/Plant Reply with quote

When shreddable scrap steel is only bringing a few cents per pound, I guess the cost of removing the equipment and hauling it to a scrapyard exceeds its scrap value. Especially when you consider needing to manually dismantle equipment, load it into trucks, and possibly use an acetylene torch to cut larger structural members, I could see labor costs adding up very quickly.

Jump to:  

Page 1 of 1