2016 Wasn't So Bad

You can talk about anything here
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

2016 Wasn't So Bad

Post by SubLunar »

Everyone likes a year end review. EVERYONE. Nobody doesn't like them so shut up. Here's mine.

Let's see yours. Share your pics and the stories and all the boobs. But do it in your own thread. Creating new threads is free, it helps saves trees from being cut down and puts an end to the threat of world peace. So make your thread today while supplies last.

I'm gonna do like one or two pics from each location per month because this is my thread and I do what I want. I might be forgetting some fun stuff that didn't make it to the blog. If so I might post it later.

For more information on each particular location, click the links and it'll answer all your wildest dreams.

JANUARY:

We went to this place and then we left.

1. Cass Bank

FEBRUARY:

My beautiful wife and I went on a long ass trip to scout some locations. Those locations didn't pan out, but we got all up inside this old church.

2. Keokuk Church

Finally penetrated this place. Also found some dead deer in the woods and ripped their stinky heads off and took them with me. Their disembodied heads are in the final stages of decompostion on my porch as we speak.
3. Factory #2

MARCH:

March was the time we went on the motherfuckinest roadtrip I've ever done. I was joined by two of the motherfuckinest motherfuckers that have ever motherfucked. This was the longest exploring related trip I've ever done and it was incredible.

Baghead and Mindwaave, thanks for helping make this happen.

We drove to New York and got into some epic locations and missed out on some others. Overall my only regret on this trip was not having more time. One location in particular which would have been particularly amazing featured guard dogs. We tried feeding them meat sticks but they were not interested. If you're interested, I wrote up the full trip report here.
CASUAL MEGA NORTHEAST ROAD FEST 2016 results:
3 dudes 1 car
2,616.5 miles driven across 7 states (52 hours drive time total)
8 Locations penetrated*
4 Security vehicles dodged
10 miles (approximate) hiking through various New York wildernesses to avoid detection
0 Selfies taken
0 Arrests/injuries
4. Hudson River State Hospital

5. The Waterworks

6. Asylum #5

7. Prison #6

8. Stonewater Psychiatric

9. Tuberculosis Hospital

10. The Steel Works

MAY:

May was depressing because we lost two of the best locations I've ever explored, which were classic STL spots, around this time. St Mary's Infirmary and Armour both went to the great beyond. St Mary's was beyond fucked by this time but knowing that destruction was imminent, I revisited Armour and wanted to do it a little differently, so I shot it on 35mm film. Then the whole place was blown the fuck up just a couple days later.

11. Armour (RIP)

JULY:
I had only just set my own record for longest drive a few months prior but in July I left it in the dust when I took the family on an adventure to Yellowstone. Did some juicy location reconnaissance during parts of the drive. Camped almost every night and hiked in bear country, cooked over a fire for most meals, swam in mountain streams which were heated by geothermal activity and did other assorted things that you can't really do in the midwest. Temperatures were in the 30s at night but by noon the next day they were in the 70s-80s and no humidity. Good times. Then I created the longest blog post ever so be sure to read the whole thing here.
3,589 miles
71.5 Hours drive time
10 days total
10 Rolls of film (on a new, to me, ~30 year old 35mm camera so I wasn't sure if the shots would even turn out).
0 bear attacks
12. Ghost Towns Badlands and Yellowstones:

SEPTEMBER
In September we were back at it again, going on a long ass road that didn't seem so long compared to the previous two. On this trip we penetrated US GOVT property as well as a partially active Juvenile prison. But first, I got pulled over for speeding and the law reached its long arm right up my arse. On the way back, we stopped at the old race track.
Weekend "TRAFFIC TICKET ROAD PARTY" results:
3 locations in 3 different states
1,265 miles
0 arrests/injuries
16. Government Health Campus

17. i-70 Speedway

18. Asylum #7

BONUS UNSPECIFIED TIME PERIOD

Last but not least, we got on the skyscraper downtown. This one was pretty juicy.

19. The Skyscraper Downtown

---

2016 saw a lot more "downtime" from me, as far as blog activity is concerned, compared to previous years but that's mostly due to the extremely long road trips which require planning and resources and tedious photo editing.

Now that 2016 is officially over, I can say with certainty that I had a fucking great year. I drove for thousands of miles with good people to reach far off places that few will ever see and I made it back to tell the tales. Now I'm ready to do it all over again.

Here's to all of our continued success in 2017!
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: 2016 Wasn't So Bad

Post by Nicotti »

SubLunar wrote:Share your pics and all the boobs...

...My beautiful wife...
I believe you forgot to share a perky pic.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: 2016 Wasn't So Bad

Post by mindwaave »

SubLunar wrote:Now I'm ready to do it all over again. Here's to all of our continued success in 2017!
+1, it's been another great year! And certainly nice to see some of the film from your family trip again.
Preservation over plunder.
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Re: 2016 Wasn

Post by lolabelle »

the waterworks may be my favorite of the above pics. is the posted armour pic from the 35mm collection? or a digital?

2016 was extrem for me. worked a crapton (fyi launching new software sucks), had beautiful baby#2, found out 5.5 months later she had cancer. all good now, but was a crazy few weeks. highs were high in 2016, lows were low.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: 2016 Wasn't So Bad

Post by SubLunar »

The above Armour shot is from the 35mm set.

The film was processed at a super low, shitty, digital resolution and the shots all look terrible. I've been meaning to photograph the negatives and process them myself to have a better quality digital version of them. For some reason the developer charges a high price for higher quality digital scans. So for now, all my digital versions of the film shots are shit. I just got a lightbox and will be undertaking this project soon.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

lolabelle wrote:2016 was extrem for me. worked a crapton (fyi launching new software sucks), had beautiful baby#2, found out 5.5 months later she had cancer. all good now, but was a crazy few weeks. highs were high in 2016, lows were low.
That sounds awesome/stressful/terrible. Glad to hear things are all good now.
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Re: RE: 2016 Wasn't So Bad

Post by lolabelle »

SubLunar wrote:The above Armour shot is from the 35mm set.

The film was processed at a super low, shitty, digital resolution and the shots all look terrible. I've been meaning to photograph the negatives and process them myself to have a better quality digital version of them. For some reason the developer charges a high price for higher quality digital scans. So for now, all my digital versions of the film shots are shit. I just got a lightbox and will be undertaking this project soon.
I thought so. it's crazy when you put the 35mm down with the digital and realize just what we now expect as the standard.
StLouisGlobetrotter
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by StLouisGlobetrotter »

Incredible pics, those locations look badass. Sounds like it was a fun year. Here's to an even better 2017!
Kryptonstar
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Kryptonstar »

Love the creepy asylum and psychiatric facility! It's like a location for some scary movie!