abandoned factory in overland park?

Urban exploration in Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas
bobbyjack
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: abandoned factory in overland park?

Post by bobbyjack »

Cade wrote:I went there last night with a friend, the place had 2 other groups in it. One group frequented the area and said it was busier than usual. It's a neat place, not much to find but it would be good for paintball. The other groups were local teens, who also told us about the best way to get there. I've attached a picture of where to park (old church parking lot, now a disk golf field) and the path to follow to get there. It's not amazing, but it is a fun place to hang out if you're nearby.

I like parking at the end of 163rd street and using the tracks as a landmark. It's easily visible from the train tracks (which are active) and it's probably the best way considering that you don't have as much as a walk and you're not going to get lost if youre a first timer. The only bad part would probably be the people that live on 163rd I have no idea if they are nosy and call police or anything because ive only been there twice.
Cade
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: abandoned factory in overland park?

Post by Cade »

We parked there at first, but moved after we were told of the other location by a group that we met in the factory. I don't know if the locals would have called the cops, but we were close to houses.
JBSlarti
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: abandoned factory in overland park?

Post by JBSlarti »

Nice! Looks like a good area to check out and not be accosted by bums. ;)
4Valhal
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by 4Valhal »

This is a pretty cool place still. Not much in it besides the hull of the building and an old furnace type thing (not entirely sure what.)

Best place to park is behind the high school there at the nature center. You can take the nature trails back in, then cross a small field, and in you're in the woods.
Cade
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Cade »

A few pics of the inside. (If this is what you're talking about @ 4Valhal) I'm pretty sure that tank was some sort of fluid storage, it didn't appear to be set up to handle pressures of heated water.
Attachments
Some of the graffiti is really good.
Some of the graffiti is really good.
On the upper floor of the factory.
On the upper floor of the factory.
This artist is my favorite.
This artist is my favorite.
The "furnace type thing" mentioned by 4Valhal. (Maybe?)
The "furnace type thing" mentioned by 4Valhal. (Maybe?)
4Valhal
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by 4Valhal »

Do you have a pic of the casting furnace? Big metal box with a ton of holes in it for heating?

I just need to get my computer set up so I can share my pics. I'm just a lazy sod.
Cade
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Cade »

No, I must have missed that room... There were a few areas on the eastern side that I haven't explored well. I haven't actually made a concentrated effort to go through every room of the building yet. I will rectify that shortcoming as soon as I can.
4Valhal
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by 4Valhal »

Let me know when you do man. I'm down to go back to there. It's a great place to set up a tripod and play with settings due to the large area and different lighting situations.
ResilientRaven
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ResilientRaven »

Versatile wrote:That should be the old Kuhlman Die Casting Plant. Should not be much left after being shut down for about 25 yrs. I am sure they pollluted the Blue River next to it. Never did see any glowing fish. Lot's of old indian stuff in that river valley. I have stuff dating back to Plains/Woodland Indians about 400-800-AD and a Clovis piece i found about 1/2 mile from there.
I have recently heard that there is more police patrolling this area now and that it may be harder to explore now. Can anyone confirm this?
4Valhal
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by 4Valhal »

Here is the big furnace!

ImageSteel Mill - 9/2017 by 4Valhal, on Flickr

As for added presence I seriously doubt it but one never knows. It's secluded as hell. Now, let some kid get hurt back there and it'll be torn down in a day.
peterbillionaire
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Post by peterbillionaire »

https://youtu.be/cGrf6ltqj3s

Thrilling video from 2006. You will need a sedative after watching this.
4Valhal
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: abandoned factory in overland park?

Post by 4Valhal »

peterbillionaire wrote: Thrilling video from 2006. You will need a sedative after watching this.
I am so. Fucking. Hype. RIGHT. NOW!

:-P
KCUnderground
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by KCUnderground »

I live in the area and frequent this location. Police are more prone to check now, not sure why. Whenever I arrive, I drive around and check the entrance by the houses st 163rd St. I then drive around and park by the old disc golf course, but in the neighborhood because occasionally they will call the police. Ive been to every nook and cranny of it, have stories, and know a good amount of the history. If anyone wants more info, private message me.
Cade
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Cade »

Last time I was out there we had to park in a neighborhood instead of the disk golf parking lot because they blocked it off. Not sure if they are patrolling any better as I haven't been there for a few months, but they do seem to have made some sort of effort to curtail exploration.
4Valhal
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by 4Valhal »

One might potentially find a nature park with trails right next to this location...