Rose Cemetery by old walmart on Sunshine

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Rose Cemetery by old walmart on Sunshine

Post by Kit »

This place always interested me and I thought I would stop by and take pictures for you. Someone has recently put up a very tacky sign but the graves themselves are very old and a few are marked by rocks instead of head stones. Very few of the headstones are still complete :(

Tacky Sign

You can see a few of the rock headstones.

My son was telling me about an old civil war cemetery back by some caves they went to back in the woods I am going to see if I can find anything out about it.
Kit wrote:I am old
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

RE: Rose Cemetery by old walmart on Sunshine

Post by White Rabbit »

Very cool. I found a page that lists some of the people in it, too.

http://www.looktothepast.com/index16.html
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

wow they have a great list of cemeteries and directions. Great Site

http://www.looktothepast.com/greenecem.html
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

The Roundtree Cemetery isn't on there... You have to go north on Scenic from Sunshine and then take the first left just after the bridge. It's in a park between two industrial facilities. It's on what used to be the old Roundtree property. The City has put up a wall around most of the headstones they could find, though more bodies are buried just north of the "cemetery site"
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

Post by Willard »

I also forgot to mention that the plot of land that runs from Mount Vernon to Elm along the east side of Campbell used to be the site of the original City Cemetary. It's plot line went to where Patton Ave. used to bisect the current First Baptist Church lot. After the Civil War the cemetary had be come neglected and the city elected to help buy land for a national cemetary (Seminol and Glenstone) and also buy the land around it for the new City Cememtary when they elected to call Hazelwood. This was in about 1867 I belive. Maple Park Cemetary wasn't established until sometime in the 1870's. Also a bunch of Soldiers fell around the area of State St. and Campbell Ave. during the Battle of Springfield during the Civil War.

When you think about all the death that surrounds the area of Campbell between about State St. and Mt. Vernon St. it's kinda creepy... :shock:
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

Willard you know anything about a civil war cemetery or at least headstones out in the woods out N Grant all the way out past Hillcrest, where the road bends back to the left and follows along that creek there? If you follow the creek around to the west... there are a lot of caves tucked back in there..

My son was in summerscape at Drury and took a caving class and when they went out there to the caves the teacher told them there was one out there and they looked for a bit but couldnt find it.

any ideas?
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

Down in Nixa across from the Junior High School, there is a small cemetery. I'd guess it's a family plot due to its size, but who knows. It's sandwhiched between a house and another person's field. Fenced in, you don't really notice it driving by it unless you are looking off the road. But there's a good number of headstones in there.
Anne
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by Anne »

Down in Nixa across from the Junior High School, there is a small cemetery. I'd guess it's a family plot due to its size, but who knows. It's sandwhiched between a house and another person's field. Fenced in, you don't really notice it driving by it unless you are looking off the road. But there's a good number of headstones in there.
I think I know the one you're talking about. Across from a baseball or some sports field? If that's the one, there were only two headstones when I went and they looked new, so my friends and I were thinking that maybe they were replacing the old ones with legiable ones.
tyler
Precocious Little Scamp
Precocious Little Scamp

Post by tyler »

Yeah, that's the one. They would have to be replacing them because they've always been a number of them in there since I've been around. The fact that they're replacing them with new legible stones also points to the likelihood that it's a family plot. Thanks for the update.
BlueDot
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Rose Cemetery by old walmart on Sunshine

Post by BlueDot »

kit, i think the page you listed there answered Your question when you asked it.
Kit wrote:wow they have a great list of cemeteries and directions. Great Site

http://www.looktothepast.com/greenecem.html
and what i needed was here
http://www.looktothepast.com/index4.html

looked up on a map where you were talking about, typed in fr 151 on the link you gave, got a description that is almost on top of what you looking for.

"dickens: from springfield, go north on 13 hwy to fr 86, go right/east on fr 86 to the cemetery on the left side of the road, at the intersection of fr 86 and fr 151."
HannahLeigh417
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by HannahLeigh417 »

Kit, the cemetery you're talking about is a civil war era cemetery, no soldiers are buried there. It's on public property but that part of the park isn't open yet due to a live firing range being in the distance. I'm kinda glad since people like to tear stuff up. It really needs some TLC too, I thought about trying to get in touch with someone to volunteer to help clean it up. Message me if you can't figure it out :)
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Re: Rose Cemetery by old walmart on Sunshine

Post by lolabelle »

HannahLeigh417 are you talking about on Lost Hill property?
Rimann
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Rose Cemetery by old walmart on Sunshine

Post by Rimann »

I know of a cemetery with only two headstones. George and Mary Yocum. As a young treasure hunter, I was extremely excited about the find. If you know the story of the Yocums you know why.
Aerohog
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Aerohog »

So tell us!