Explorers in Kansas?

Urban exploration in Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas
ResilientRaven
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Explorers in Kansas?

Post by ResilientRaven »

Hey guys,

I am new to urban exploration but I would love to check out/photograph some locations and explore!

Any recommendations or Ideas?

Anyone been to Joyland Amusement Park in Witchita? I happened across it in my research and it looked great but I don't know the status of it currently and hadn't seen anything about people recently visiting.

Look forward to hearing back and seeing who all may still be active in this group!
Headframe Hunters
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

RE: Explorers in Kansas?

Post by Headframe Hunters »

Welcome to UO! I operate predominantly in Missouri, with periodic trips to New Mexico and Kentucky, so I'm not too well-versed on what there is to see in Kansas. I know that there is an abandoned underground limestone mine in Atchison, along with everything in KC.

Let me know if you plan on going to Missouri; I can point you towards some really awesome sites in the southeastern quarter of the state. My fiancee and I would love to introduce someone else to underground/mine exploration if that's your kind of thing.
In loving memory of Nichole - 12/4/1996 -- 12/1/2017

https://headframehunters.blogspot.com/
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: Explorers in Kansas?

Post by BagHead727 »

According to Wikipedia:

"The roller coaster was extensively damaged by a windstorm on the morning of April 3, 2015, including the destruction of large portions of elevated track.[10][11] In mid-April, Roger Nelson, the son of park owners Stan and Margaret Nelson, told reporters, "We are in the process of tearing it all down", referring to the roller coaster and the remaining buildings on the site. He had announced the previous week that the Preservation Alliance had purchased a number of the park's marquee attractions, including the Whacky Shack building and a horse and buggy ride, and was negotiating to purchase the full-size train caboose that was stationed at the west end of Frontier Town.[12] On July 23, 2015, the components of the roller coaster which remained standing were demolished.[13]

On July 1, 2016, the new owners started to tear the park down."
aka "That Guy"
4Valhal
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Explorers in Kansas?

Post by 4Valhal »

Hey! Welcome aboard. We explore around KC and Topeka and such quite often. Drop me a line if you ever want to link up.