Abandoned Mines Bonner Springs

Urban exploration in Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas
unit1923
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Abandoned Mines Bonner Springs

Post by unit1923 »

Hello how is everyone, I was wondering if anyone has gone to Bonner Springs to check out the old abandoned limestone mines southwest of the town. I'm thinking about going to check them out possibly today or later this week since today is my last day off haha. If anyone has any insight on this location please give me a heads up or if your trying to check this place out. Also an interesting feature of this location is that it looks like in the woods north of the site, there seems to be some cave ins about three to be exact.
Baileybrucem
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Abandoned Mines Bonner Springs

Post by Baileybrucem »

I wasn't aware of any limestone caves around Bonner springs. Do you have any more information about them?
JC
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by JC »

There is an active cold storage facility in Bonner Springs named National Cold storage. They are at the end of Loring Drive near the Kansas River. You can see it on google maps pretty good. Its currently in use so I wouldn't suggest trying to check it out..

There is another set of caves over there that was shut down due to a fire. I'm not sure their location but I'm sure its close to the active site.
unit1923
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by unit1923 »

Thanks for that heads up, I tried finding the caves on Google terrain map and notice three small indentations that resemble a cave in close to that location. Might have to check this out. 8)
squeaksman
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by squeaksman »

The cold storage shut down by the fire is on Holiday Drive on the east side of 435. Inland Quarries/Americold ran it. Inland continued mining in an adjacent mine until a few years ago. The fire was in the early 90's. Google Inland Kansas City fire, several large lawsuits resulted.
jdbridge
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by jdbridge »

Could this also be the drainage from the Penn Valley Park "lake"? It looks like the lake overflow drains to a NE corner, in line with the Blvd Brewery and the outlet in the river.

Turkey Creek tunnel is actually starts where Turkey creek goes underground at the interstate 35.
sulfurburner
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by sulfurburner »

There are several mines in Bonner very close to each other. most are active allthough I heard one is in the process of shutting down operations. There's one on the end that's been abandoned for some time. you can access it but it requires a pretty good hike. Make sure you have a good 3-5 hours if you plan to see it all. I live about 2 miles from it so feel free to PM me for more info.
ResilientRaven
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Abandoned Mines Bonner Springs

Post by ResilientRaven »

sulfurburner wrote:There are several mines in Bonner very close to each other. most are active allthough I heard one is in the process of shutting down operations. There's one on the end that's been abandoned for some time. you can access it but it requires a pretty good hike. Make sure you have a good 3-5 hours if you plan to see it all. I live about 2 miles from it so feel free to PM me for more info.
Would you happen to have coordinates or an address for the abandoned location? Feel free to PM me