View unanswered posts
Underground Ozarks ForumUnderground Ozarks Forum
Underground Ozarks Forum Gallery Forum Blog
Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in

Partially submerged bridge near Council Grove?
View previous topic | View next topic  
bugo
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

Locations: Tulsa
Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Partially submerged bridge near Council Grove? Reply with quote

The topic on submerged bridges led to a Google search, which led to this picture:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/81211809/81216687SNHRXX

Also, the next few pictures in this album show pictures of the bridge.

The photos are all near Council Grove, but the bridge is a mystery. I haven't been able to find any information on it anywhere on the web. The bridge appears to be a single span Marsh pony arch, a style of bridge once common in Kansas but rapidly disappearing.

I asked the Kansas highways guru (www.route56.com) and he had no idea. Anybody?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SxySkeksis
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Locations: Wichita, Ks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: RE: Partially submerged bridge near Council Grove? Reply with quote

I searched for info on this and came up empty, which of course meant I had to try harder. Smile I messaged the guy who took the pictures, if I don't hear from him in a day or so I'll probably email the vistors center in Council Grove. I will, of course, post any information I find, here.
Setherick
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: RE: Partially submerged bridge near Council Grove? Reply with quote

I grew up near Council Grove. If you knew exactly the submerged bridge was it would help? I know that there is a large lake north of Council Grove and when the lake would flood several access roads that in the runoff areas would go underwater. It might be that when they built up a dam or levy for the lake that it completely flooded a road.

patrick seth williams

Setherick
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Partially submerged bridge near Council Grove? Reply with quote

Right after I posted my first response, I pulled up some websites on Council Grove Lake/Reservoir. This looks like your bridge:

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/kdwp_info/locations/reservoirs/region_4/council_grove

I'm still trying to figure out what road/highway the bridge was on or when it was flooded. I'll keep posting as I find things out.

Setherick
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Partially submerged bridge near Council Grove? Reply with quote

I looked at the site closer. The name of the picture was "flooded bridge," so my initial impression was correct. It's not a submerged bridge.
bugo
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Partially submerged bridge near Council Grove? Reply with quote

I think I found it on Terraserver:
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=14&X=3584&Y=21444&W=3&qs=%7cCouncil+Grove%7c%7c
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Watcher
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Partially submerged bridge near Council Grove? Reply with quote

Did you ever hear back from the dude that took the picture?
bugo
100+ Poster
100+ Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Partially submerged bridge near Council Grove? Reply with quote

Necro topic notwithstanding, here is a video of the bridge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZdoua4GsGA
4Valhal
0-99 Poster
Member for: 4 months, 9 days0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Partially submerged bridge near Council Grove? Reply with quote

Hey, that is pretty cool!

Jump to:  

Page 1 of 1