Saint Louis Spots -- Observations, Questions, and Meetups

Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
Bigspike
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Saint Louis Spots -- Observations, Questions, and Meetups

Post by Bigspike »

Hey guys, it's been quite a while since I've posted. A lot of the people I used to go exploring with ~9 years ago have either moved away or aren’t interested anymore…SAD. Luckily, I recently made a new friend who is. We were biking around near the candy factory on Gravois and found the skate park a few blocks away, which appears to have been some kind of piano factory? Anyways, pretty cool place. The roof had a good view, although not as good as the candy factory would have been (unfortunately occupied by storage units now so I wouldn’t risk getting in).

With Clemens burning and St. Mary’s / the coke plant / armory all gone, I need some new spots. Despite my lack of active exploration, I’ve been driving around and taking notes for a few years. I thought I’d share some of the locations I’ve seen, mostly because I am wondering if anyone has gone in them, knows what security is like, etc. Feel free to PM me if you don’t want to discuss publicly. I want to re-iterate that I have NOT gone to any of these places, and I will also try not to be too specific if I can help it. A little hard as many of my spots are listed by intersections…but nonetheless. If there is a more private place to discuss I would love to join. Really want to get back into this lovely adventurous hobby. Also, I plan on moving out of Saint Louis in the not-too-distant future, so I’d love to check out a bunch of spots before I do.

1. Majestic old church off Salsbury north of downtown, went here once but stopped because we heard someone else inside
2. There is an old theater (apparently the original Wherenburg and built by the Busches) in Carondelet, very interesting wedge-shaped piece of land. Have been wanting to see this place for ages but it would be very obvious to the neighbors
3. Old abandoned bar on Lemp, you can look in through the front window. Pretty cool
4. Old shack on Lemp, supposedly used to connect to caves and the underground railroad; doesn’t look like there’s a way in as I checked recently
5. Rectory at Cook and Grand
6. Several old factories at Sydney and Iowa
7. Huge complex on Grand and Blair
8. Old Vess factory North of downtown near I-70
9. Lemp stock house, I passed by one time and there was a hole in one of the boarded up doors/windows. I came back a few days later and it was patched up. Haven’t seen any way in since
10. The house on the Native American burial mound on Gasconade…owned by the Cherokee nation and probably a terrible idea to go in here, but I was just wondering if anyone has seen more if it than the outside. Always love telling visitors to STL about this place and showing it to them
11. Factory on Union near Margaretta
12. Huge complex + roof access from fire escape at Hereford and Bischoff
13. Church on Kingshighway and Northland
14. The Armory. Pretty sealed up I would imagine. Drove around the base of it, not much to see.
15. Large, overgrown abandoned apartment complex near Union and Cabanne. Lots of people wandering around nearby and inside when I’ve checked in here though
16. The abandoned bridge that crosses the Mississippi, near the concrete Hill on Broadway south of the Broadway Oyster Bar. It’s on the Mardi Gras Parade route. The concrete hill is a solid place to hang out on for the parade, and I’ve always wanted to walk across the bridge
17. Old Cleveland High School
18. Enormous factory at North Grant & STL

Seriously, anyone have any info or want to get together to check some of these out? In fact, does anyone just want to get a meetup together? We could meet up at a park, in a bar, at a restaurant or wherever and discuss. It’d be fun! I see that the meetup forum page is even more dead than this one.

Cheers everyone! Hope you’re all having a great week :)
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Re: Saint Louis Spots -- Observations, Questions, and Meetup

Post by Chris »

1. Majestic old church off Salsbury north of downtown, went here once but stopped because we heard someone else inside
Bethlehem? It has been torn down.
2. There is an old theater (apparently the original Wherenburg and built by the Busches) in Carondelet, very interesting wedge-shaped piece of land. Have been wanting to see this place for ages but it would be very obvious to the neighbors
I agree, would be very cool to see. Used to live near there. I also agree-too many people around.
10. The house on the Native American burial mound on Gasconade…owned by the Cherokee nation and probably a terrible idea to go in here, but I was just wondering if anyone has seen more if it than the outside. Always love telling visitors to STL about this place and showing it to them
Town down.
11. Factory on Union near Margaretta
That's the Corvette plant. While no longer a GM plant it's still very much in use.
12. Huge complex + roof access from fire escape at Hereford and Bischoff
Known as "Alfa Pet". Was originally a Magic Chef plant. Going to be torn down soon, so get on it!
16. The abandoned bridge that crosses the Mississippi, near the concrete Hill on Broadway south of the Broadway Oyster Bar. It’s on the Mardi Gras Parade route. The concrete hill is a solid place to hang out on for the parade, and I’ve always wanted to walk across the bridge
That's the McArthur Bridge, a rail bridge and very much NOT abandoned. It would be a profoundly bad idea to try and walk across it. The road deck has been torn down.
18. Enormous factory at North Grant & STL
Carter Carburetor...torn down.
Chubz
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Saint Louis Spots -- Observations, Questions, and Meetup

Post by Chubz »

I've been wanting to get Cleveland for a while...from what I heard there's a well-hidden (but small) entrance. There's also a school next to i-70 near downtown i've been eyeing for a few months.
ultimate lurker
Bigspike
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Bigspike »

Bethlehem? It has been torn down.
I am quite sure this isn't Bethlehem. I went by it just a few weeks ago...my description is poor, considering how many old churches are up there. The one I am talking about is on Cass.

The house on the mount @ Gasconade was still there last month...did they finally do it? If so, sheesh...lots of demolition going on lately

The "Alfa Pet" / Old Magic Chef Plant....anyone want to go? Any tips or tricks?

Thanks for all the info and suggestions by the way Chris. I appreciate it!
Chubz wrote:I've been wanting to get Cleveland for a while...from what I heard there's a well-hidden (but small) entrance. There's also a school next to i-70 near downtown i've been eyeing for a few months.
I think I know the school you're talking about. Want to meet up and check any of them out? We can grab a drink or something one night first to make sure we each aren't serial killers
Chubz
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Chubz »

Bigspike wrote: I think I know the school you're talking about. Want to meet up and check any of them out? We can grab a drink or something one night first to make sure we each aren't serial killers
Sounds good to me. I'm downtown monday-friday for work so I can always meet up after that. I haven't really had any good reason to be in the vicinity of Cleveland so I haven't verified that the entrance is still there, but some friends went a month or two back and said it was well hidden and easy to find (if you know of it).

I've scouted the other school out multiple times..doesn't seem very easy to get into, but if we had a ladder or similar climbing device it would simplify things greatly. A step-ladder would probably even work fine, although not being seen is the tricky part.
ultimate lurker
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Lemp supposedly has good security since the haunted house has their stuff there.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Bigspike
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Bigspike »

Sounds good to me. I'm downtown monday-friday for work so I can always meet up after that. I haven't really had any good reason to be in the vicinity of Cleveland so I haven't verified that the entrance is still there, but some friends went a month or two back and said it was well hidden and easy to find (if you know of it).

I've scouted the other school out multiple times..doesn't seem very easy to get into, but if we had a ladder or similar climbing device it would simplify things greatly. A step-ladder would probably even work fine, although not being seen is the tricky part.[/quote]

Awesome. I'll PM you.

Nicotti wrote:Lemp supposedly has good security since the haunted house has their stuff there.
That makes sense. And the newer part of their building is occupied by a running businness. I should have gone in through the window when I had the chance. Interestingly, I stumbled into an Instagram live feed of some kids walking around in there (99% sure from seeing the tower in the background) back in March-ish. Does anyone on here ever do The Ghost Ride (formally the FBC)? It's basically several hundred people meeting up on the night of the full moon and riding to cool spots around town. Several years ago (like 5ish) the ride ended up at the Lemp Brewery and there was a concert + most of the place was just wide open to walk around in. Never figured out how that one happened. Good times.
Bigspike
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Bigspike »

Sounds good to me.
Hey Chubz, I tried sending you a PM but I don't think it's working for some reason. Never leaving my outbox. Can you send me a PM and I'll reply to it? Or just email me at iwantasmartphone (at) gmail (dot) com
Chubz
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Chubz »

Bigspike wrote:
Sounds good to me.
Hey Chubz, I tried sending you a PM but I don't think it's working for some reason. Never leaving my outbox. Can you send me a PM and I'll reply to it? Or just email me at iwantasmartphone (at) gmail (dot) com
It sent, I just hadn't been on here all weekend to check. I sent you an email just now
ultimate lurker