Urban exploration in St. Louis, Missouri
wildbill999
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

"Goliath" sinkhole video in Benton Park, St. Louis

Post by wildbill999 »

[https://youtu.be/3__MEzF0PNo]

https://youtu.be/3__MEzF0PNo

This is Part 1 of 2 videos I took of a Benton Park sinkhole. It seems this hole opened up around Christmas Day of 2015. I filmed it January 3rd 2016. It is all the raw complete footage; about 5 plus minutes. There was no viewfinder and the camera (a HTC RE)was on the end of a long bamboo pole so I could not film in a conventional manner. Also, I went back at night during the Super Bowl evening with a friend with a weight on a cord but cannot find that footage or the media card it was on. When I do I will be happy to join the two together and update this video. Below is some information about the storm.

This from Wikipedia about the Goliath Storm::
Flooding[edit]
The storm system was responsible for heavy rain that caused severe flooding in 13 states, with Missouri being especially impacted.[14][15] Parts of the state were hit with over 10 in (0.25 m) of heavy rainfall.[6] At least 14 people died due to the floods in Missouri alone.[16] In Union, Missouri, the Bourbeuse River rose to 34.22 ft (10.43 m), above the preceding record of 33.79 ft (10.30 m) which occurred on December 5, 1982.[15][17][18][19] More than 180 roads, including portions of Interstates 44, 55, and 70, and several bridges were closed.[20][21] The Meramec River, near St. Louis, crested 2 ft (0.61 m) above its previous record height, inundating nearby communities. At least 380 homes and 70 businesses were flooded in Franklin County.[20]
Approximately 140,000 sandbags were brought in to protect portions of the Bayshore subdivision in Arnold. At least 150 homes succumbed to flooding in the city.[20] More than 100 boat rescues were conducted in Eureka.[22]
Major flooding also occurred in south Alabama, where the Pea River in Elba, Alabama flooded. Most of the rainfall occurred on Christmas Eve day when training thunderstorms went over the same areas. All in all, a widespread 8-16 inches occurred.
Nine levees were topped—five along the Mississippi River, three along the Missouri River, and one along the Kaskaskia River—though the affected areas were predominantly unpopulated.[22][23] Large stretches of the Mississippi River were placed on alert due to projected major flooding.[24]
Flash flooding also claimed seven lives in Illinois, two in Oklahoma, one in Arkansas, and one in Georgia.[[/url]

Correction: About the 2007 sinkhole that led to the draining of the lake I think that occurred on the opposite side of the lake by the steps. However when I was engaged in this filming someone had told me this spot had a cave-in in the past.
Whitepanther
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Re: "Goliath" sinkhole video in Benton Park, St. L

Post by Whitepanther »

I just posted that YouTube link a few hrs ago under an English thread for a comprehensive research of English. That link was your video I now learn lol. It was interesting to hear rushing water. Good job btw and very intuitive means of catching the inside.

Curious what you think about the possibility that the St Louis Browns took English Cave with them when they skipped town. That theory would put the entrance somewhere around Cooperstown if true. :lol:
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: "Goliath" sinkhole video in Benton Park, St. L

Post by SubLunar »

Nice! I walked up to that hole and thought I could hear water too.
wildbill999
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: "Goliath" sinkhole video in Benton Park, St. L

Post by wildbill999 »

Hey thanks for your replies!

I have not heard about the "Cooperstown Angle" before but to crack this cave it may as well as be there.

For the running water I would assume the lake's liner had a leak. If it was not patched then the City's fill job may erode away sooner than later.

I will be posting a longer video soon in SD from a VCR tape titled along the lines of "House Hunting for English Cave"

Take care,
Bill
Whitepanther
400+ Poster
400+ Poster

Re: "Goliath" sinkhole video in Benton Park, St. L

Post by Whitepanther »

Cooperstown takes everything cool.

That vid of house hunting was worth the watch thanks. Was it on IL St?
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: RE: "Goliath" sinkhole video in Benton Park, S

Post by mindwaave »

wildbill999 wrote:For the running water I would assume the lake's liner had a leak. If it was not patched then the City's fill job may erode away sooner than later.
Yup, the city's been plugging leaks and filling the little drainage-sinks for several decades now. In 2007, they spent $700k on re-paving the bottom of the pond with a 5in layer of fresh concrete, but similar solutions have been in use since the 1950s.

Here's the one from last winter. All that freezing (expanding) water must be cracking the liner in whichever location has the least-compacted soil: Image

Welcome to the forum to both you and WhitePanther! Do consider putting your replies in a common thread since the forum is old and difficult to keep organized :P
Preservation over plunder.