Old resort near West Plains

Urban exploration in Missouri
scotter
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Old resort near West Plains

Post by scotter »

When I was a kid I went to an old resort town near West Plains. It was mostly Foundations and there was a small sawmill and and old school house. There was also a large Hotel near a pond down in some bottom land along a creek. The place was for sale and my father was looking at buying it (wish he had) . It was like 4 stories tall and at the time the first floor was remodeled into a single family residence and the upper floors were vacant. I am wondering if anyone one else has been to this little ghost town and what the name of it was. I would really like to see the area again. I was last there in about 1982.
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Old resort near West Plains

Post by Willard »

Was the place called Cureall? That was a resort town at one time.
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
scotter
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Old resort near West Plains

Post by scotter »

I did a google earth on it and it looks like it could be the place but I dont see the townsite I remember. The resevior looks like the one I remember and I think I can see the old Motel.

Thanks I'll see if my father recognizes the name.
67gt390
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by 67gt390 »

Hello, the old hotel was the Pinebrook inn, opened in 1924 with a 9 hole golf course. Springfield developer John Woodruff designed and built the 4 story building. A friend I went to high school with lived there as a child, he swears the basement showers are haunted and has no desire to ever return there. The hotel is still lived in today, I don't know the current owners though. Hotel is located in Silom Springs down 14 highway east out of west plains. Good luck, Ron.
scotter
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by scotter »

Sweet, I think it was the pinebrook inn. Have you been there ? It looked haunted to me when I was a kid. I did a Google on it and I'm 99% sure this is the place just south of the 14

scotter
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by scotter »

Thanks a bunch Ron, I did a little more digging and this is it for sure. I sure would love to hear some stories about that place, I almost wound up living there !!!

Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

RE: Old resort near West Plains

Post by Willard »

I think the info about Woodruff building it is inaccurate, I found a book online with info about the inn and it says N. O. Tate of Miami, Florida built it and it also says that the Eckhart family runs it as a bed and breakfast now. It also says that the town was Siloam Springs which was located 15 miles from West Plains

http://books.google.com/books?id=DSU44o ... buJ7xGTw1c
"Oh my God! Wal-mart's going to march on Poland!" ~ Lewis Black

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
67gt390
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by 67gt390 »

Hello, The book I found my info in is "Searching for Booger County" by Sandy Ray Chapin. It lists N.O. Tate as a florida entrepreneur who bought the springs and the adjoining 300 arces. Tate began work on the structure but overextended himself financially. Woodruff bought the unfinished building from Tate and an additional 300 acres. Thanks, Ron.
SweetTater78
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by SweetTater78 »

I found this article today....so sad...

https://www.westplainsdailyquill.net/ne ... b2370.html
Livin' in the ICT!