New Website- UrbexKC.org

Read about other UE sites/blogs/channels/etc. Announce your website updates here!
Snoopy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

New Website- UrbexKC.org

Post by Snoopy »

With KCUrbex being what seems to be done and its future unsure, I figured now was a great time to resurrect a project that has been on the back-burner for quite awhile.

The thing I loved the most about KCUrbex was the connections I created with other explorers at public meetups and in the PMs, some of who I still explore/hang-out with today. It was a user friendly, intuitive, and very informational website and I would hate for the experience I received to disappear and not be available for any beginners in the KC area.

My site, UrbexKC, while it won't be an exact replacement, will echo everything you loved about KCUrbex as well as offer new and exciting features including a chatbox, a reward system, and I'm currently working on an interactive map that will be made available to full members. Another plus is that if you were a full member on KCUrbex, that membership will transfer to this forum.

The reward system will encourage people to remain active on the forum; offering free UrbexKC branded clothing, backpacks, and even full blown equipment as the site grows. Right now we are starting out with t-shirts and hoodies, customizable with your website, social handles, ect.

Please let me know what you think! I appreciate any feedback, positive or negative. I also appreciate any ideas that would make the site more functional for you and others.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: New Website- UrbexKC.org

Post by SubLunar »

I took a quick look around and first thing I noticed was each location had a handy link to the location on google maps. I don't think that's a good idea.

Also, James Clemens house was misspelled.

Otherwise, seems interesting. Anything other than facebook is a good thing.

Are any of the KCURBEX OG's involved?
Snoopy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Snoopy »

I was thinking the same thing about the locations. It might be best to wait and save full location information for full members, since the website will have a similar recommendation system like KCUrbex where you need vouched before you become a full member.

In regards to KCUrbex OGs, no one is helping at the moment but I'm hoping once the site gets out there, some of the original mods and users will help out.

Its taken a lot bring this project from half completion to ready over the past 3-4 days and its still missing a bunch of features that will be introduced as the month finishes out. But thanks for checking it out and catching that typo lol
Snoopy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: New Website- UrbexKC.org

Post by Snoopy »

Added some new features:

There is now a mobile version of the site, viewable automatically; no need to switch themes. There is also now a feature to sign-in using Facebook instead of signing up for an account, but isn't currently finished yet. This will be completed by the end of this week. The private location map is around 25% completed, this will be accessible to full members only.
youthsonic
Urban Perversion
Urban Perversion

Post by youthsonic »

tylernol wrote:Added some new features:

There is now a mobile version of the site, viewable automatically; no need to switch themes. There is also now a feature to sign-in using Facebook instead of signing up for an account, but isn't currently finished yet. This will be completed by the end of this week. The private location map is around 25% completed, this will be accessible to full members only.
I am working this next week to bring KCUrbEx.org back, with some modifications. And a giant disclaimer stating no association with kcurbex.com (a marketing company bought the .com and is using it for profit)

Perhaps we work together? All I ever wanted was some fucking help.
We could work to implement more ideas together
"fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

youthsonic wrote:
tylernol wrote:Added some new features:

I am working this next week to bring KCUrbEx.org back, with some modifications. And a giant disclaimer stating no association with kcurbex.com (a marketing company bought the .com and is using it for profit)

Perhaps we work together? All I ever wanted was some fucking help.
We could work to implement more ideas together
:D :D :D
Preservation over plunder.
Snoopy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Snoopy »

Update as of 12/14/16:

I have changed the site from HTTP to HTTPS; this is a pretty big move to securing user accounts and protecting the location database. That I know of, UrbexKC is the only Urbex website to provide this.

The location map and Facebook login feature are still under-construction. But for the past week, I've also been thinking of ways that would make the site easier to use on to access on a phone. We already have a mobile version, but I feel like it isn't enough. The best idea I've thought of is developing a downloadable app. The app would notify you of new posts, PMs, and even maybe possibly new locations in the near future. Keep in mind that the app is more of a vision at the moment, but I think its very possible it could become a reality early next year if I decide to do it. If it does, it'll be more of a private app, downloadable on our website rather than Google Play, for example.

I'm also thinking about implementing a vouch system. It was rather difficult for some people to attend the public meetups that were hosted or attended by moderators or admins on KCUrbex, but they still went out to meet some of the other full members on the site. So instead of letting just the moderators handle approving new full members, I want to add a system where other full member explorers can vouch for them. I'm planning this to be a 3-5 vouch system before they are approved for a full membership. This is to prevent random people from getting full membership who don't deserve to have access to location data.

Another change I will be making: I've realized I've taken away some of the adventure from urban exploring by providing entrance instructions in the location database for full members; entrances also change to often to keep this updated efficiently. This will be removed soon.

One more thing: I am still in talks with YouthSonic about KCUrbex's possible return but until things are set in stone, I'm going to continue to develop UrbexKC.

In other exciting news, I will be in attendance at the Cave Party December 17th, so if you'd like to meet me, along with a lot of cool people out there in the Urbex community, join us! Its going to be a cold one so make sure you bundle up!
Snoopy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Snoopy »

Update as of 12/29/16:

I have finished the rough draft of the new mobile app for the site! It looks great and I'm excited for this project to take root and grow! It will take about 2 more weeks to finish testing make sure everything is spic and span before releasing it to everyone. I created the mobile app in hopes it will boost traffic to the site. It will act a lot like Facebook, offering notifications and effortless posting, replying, and much more.

Facebook Connect is the next thing I'm working on but it will take time to polish the Facebook Application for it. I'm projecting that to be finished early 2016.

The location map will use Google Maps' API. I'm hoping that will make the experience more fluid and easy to pick up on. This will be available to private members.

Thats about all of the updates I can give you at the moment; Happy New Year!
Snoopy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Snoopy »

Happy 2017!

I have been hard at work this past week getting the private location map to work and I'm excited to say it works! While the map is not done yet, its starting to look extremely promising and I believe this will be a fantastic tool for intermediate to veteran explorers. I based my code off of the popular UER.ca site's map which took a lot of examining before I could decide how I wanted to structure and write mine. It took about a month of on and off work but I was able to modify and write it to play nice with UrbexKC's forum software and image structure. More awesome updates to come!
Snoopy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Snoopy »

Update as of 01/10/17:

UrbexKC's app is now out for Android and iOS. Download it and let me know how it does! The Android app is currently not working for the Nexus 6 (which happens to be my personal phone lol) but I'm working to fix it. Its working on all of my other Android devices and I'm getting ready to test on my selection of iPhone's this week.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... urbexkcorg
Snoopy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Snoopy »

Update 3/23/17

So whats new with UrbexKC?
I've made some adjustments to the UrbexKC app and it seems to be running more stable and more fluid for Android. iPhone users haven't had much issues besides a permission problem in the public forum. I added a new category visible to Full and Trusted Members only called Research. This category basically helps those who are scouting, trying to find historical information, or looking to identify a building. This will keep track of any properties that have potential so that way they aren't forgotten and we can check up on them.

I have paused work on the Location Map Database in favor of finishing documentation on builds that are already known first. I'm also working on making it available through our UrbexKC app, which might take awhile.

As for the location database, I'm far from done. I have a ton of buildings to add to the database and I think you guys will be please when I finish contributing. Some of these locations I will add to the public forum.

And just in case if you didn't already know, I have cancelled one of goals to add social media signups to the site. I didn't think about it at first, but I think it poses a risk to the security of the community. Its better for log ins to be in one central location and not leave my server to authenticate with some other website.