Underground Ozarks Forum Gallery Forum Blog
Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in

Caves in Caney AR area.
View previous topic | View next topic  
Arkansas Tom
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Caves in Caney AR area. Reply with quote

This is a great site. Great reading about all the exploits.

I use to do a lot of cave exploring in Arkansas back in the 70's. Recently bought some property in the Caney Ar. area (about 10 miles south of Yellville on 14) and plan to move there this fall.

Is anyone familiar with any of the three caves located South of Yellville near Caney. They are Shawnee Cave, Elm Cave and Caney Cave. All three are clearly marked on Topo maps of the area. Coordinates on Terraserver are -92.63560 long. by 36.11537 lat.

Would appreciate any info about these caves and any others in the same general area.

Thanks
Willard
Encyclopedia Willardica
Encyclopedia Willardica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: RE: Caves in Caney AR area. Reply with quote

White Rabbit might know. You could always go visit the KKK camp near Zinc... that's always fun! (banjos playing in the back ground)

"You're not the "rockstar of the forum." Paul is." ~ CrazyDrummerDude
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Caves in Caney AR area. Reply with quote

I'm thinking more Sertile's area of expertise.
White Rabbit
Illuminati Expert
Illuminati Expert

Locations: Missouri

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Caves in Caney AR area. Reply with quote

I actually haven't heard of those, but then I honestly don't go down to the Yellville area all that much. Firediver and the guys from around there might know more about them, though.
Arkansas Tom
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: RE: Caves in Caney AR area. Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the replies. Someone must know of those caves as they are clearly marked on the Cozahome topo map south of Yellville.

When I get there this fall I'll check them out and report back.

I noticed the Buffalo River came up over the weekend! Anybody going floating.

Tom
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Caves in Caney AR area. Reply with quote

Let me know when the water gets within a foot of the bridge at the Ponca put-in, and I'll think about it. I like to put in at Ponca and have someone shuttle my truck down to Kyle's. I've camped at Steel Creek several times when the river was dry there.
Arkansas Tom
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: RE: Caves in Caney AR area. Reply with quote

For those who may not know, here is a link to the Buffalo River river gauge system. Is shows rain gauges and river level information in the Buffalo drainage.

http://www.buffaloriverandrain.com/cgi-bin/rainmap

Tom
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Caves in Caney AR area. Reply with quote

This is the one I like:
http://www.buffaloriver.com/river_report/

ambrosian_spelunker
300+ Poster
300+ Poster

Locations: The Emerald City Kansas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Caves in Caney AR area. Reply with quote

Arkansas Tom wrote:
Is anyone familiar with any of the three caves located South of Yellville near Caney. They are Shawnee Cave, Elm Cave and Caney Cave. All three are clearly marked on Topo maps of the area. Coordinates on Terraserver are -92.63560 long. by 36.11537 lat.Would appreciate any info about these caves and any others in the same general area.Thanks

I have access to an extensive karst and caving library for arkansas. I will see what I can find out they are clearly mapped just as you said. I have a list of systems at my boys house where we have mapped them through satellite imagery. Nothing like topo's it's even better. (shh, military secret!!) LOL They may be worth making a weekend out of to locate and check out!

I'll also check with my boys from the NSS and see what they have for me!

Arkansas Tom
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: RE: Caves in Caney AR area. Reply with quote

Quote:
I have access to an extensive karst and caving library for arkansas. I will see what I can find out they are clearly mapped just as you said. I have a list of systems at my boys house where we have mapped them through satellite imagery. Nothing like topo's it's even better. (shh, military secret!!) LOL They may be worth making a weekend out of to locate and check out!

I'll also check with my boys from the NSS and see what they have for me![

Hope to hear what you find out.

Tom
goldjam94
0-99 Poster
Member for: 4 years, 2 months0-99 Poster

Locations: Arkansas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Caves in Caney AR area. Reply with quote

I know this is really late, but I found Shawnee cave. Elm cave was to risky to get to and Caney cave had about 8 no trespassing signs. Shawnee cave had some no trespassing signs but you don't see them until you are just about at the cave entrance. Outside of the entrance is an old log cabin, i guess this was the gift shop when the cave was open for tours. The inside of the cave is filled with trash. We didn't go to far in because I had a really bad feeling. Right as we were leaving in my car a cop pulled in so we left just in time. I did take a picture which I attached.

image1 (7).JPG
 Description:
Shawnee Cave entrance
 Filesize:  158.48 KB
 Viewed:  342 Time(s)

image1 (7).JPG

hogtexan
0-99 Poster
Member for: 2 years, 7 months0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: RE: Caves in Caney AR area. Reply with quote

Goldjam94 - Sent you a PM
FiReDiVeR
I Need A Title!

Locations: Mtn. Home, AR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Caves in Caney AR area. Reply with quote

I know of a few caves in that area, and have actually been talking to several folks that grew up around there. ASK THE OLDER PEOPLE, they are the best information you'll get. I wish I had time to catalog all of the caves and mines that I have been to or heard about. KEEP SHARING!!!
FiReDiVeR
I Need A Title!

Locations: Mtn. Home, AR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Caves in Caney AR area. Reply with quote

O know of a few caves in that area, and have actually been talking to several folks that grew up around there. ASK THE OLDER PEOPLE, they are the best information you'll get. I wish I had time to catalog all of the caves and mines that I have been to or heard about. KEEP SHARING!!!

Jump to:  

Page 1 of 1