Can someone confirm a cave name for me? Near Slabtown.

Urban exploration in Missouri
lokiracer
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Can someone confirm a cave name for me? Near Slabtown.

Post by lokiracer »

I'm pretty sure it's called Slabtown cave now by most people, but I think it might have been called McWilliams cave in some other publications.

Are there one and the same? If not, I assume Slabtown cave is the one that can be seen from the bridge in Slabtown, but can't locate McWilliams.

Thanks.
the_p0ssum
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Re: Can someone confirm a cave name for me? Near Slabtown.

Post by the_p0ssum »

Caves of Missouri (1956) locates it as such: "McWilliams Cave Sec. 29 or 33, T. 34 N., R. 10 W., Pulaski County Not shown on Big Piney Quadrangle map"

An earlier book "Archaeological Excavations" (1922) offers a more detailed description: "MCWILLIAMS CAVE 15 A cave on the McWilliams farm near Jack Hinshaw's at the upper end of the Big Eddy near the south line of Pulaski County has an entrance 8 feet high and 15 feet wide There is a good light for 150 feet at which distance the cavern turns It is an excellent location for an Indian home having a floor of dry earth and a small amount of refuse was found but the earth has been thoroughly dug over in the search for missing residents some human bones rooted out by hogs having given rise to a belief that these may have been murdered and concealed here."

Slabtown is further south, in Texas county, so if these descriptions are accurate then we're talking about two different caves.