Underground Ozarks Forum Gallery Forum Blog
Memberlist Usergroups Register Log in

Heading to the Big Flat Area
View previous topic | View next topic  
brettp2004
0-99 Poster
Member for: 4 years0-99 Poster

Usergroups: None

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Heading to the Big Flat Area Reply with quote

We're planning a camping trip to the buffalo the beginning of next month and want to check out some caves/mines. We plan on going to Almus Knob Cave by big flat. Does anyone know of any other places worth visiting in the area that they are willing to share?
goldjam94
0-99 Poster
Member for: 4 years, 2 months0-99 Poster

Locations: Arkansas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: RE: Heading to the Big Flat Area Reply with quote

I love that place. I am going hiking in the area tomorrow. There is supposed to be a handful of homesteads, a couple more caves and two mines. I know for sure there is an old school house. I will let you know.
brettp2004
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: RE: Heading to the Big Flat Area Reply with quote

The old school house is pretty cool. I went there a few years ago. Let me know if you need any help finding it. I know about the mines near Rush but I believe they are all closed up. There are also some old homesteads there but it's an historical district so you can go into any of them. The only cave I can find online is the almus knob cave.
rlaneberg
0-99 Poster
Member for: 10 months, 21 days0-99 Poster

Locations: Arkansas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: RE: Heading to the Big Flat Area Reply with quote

Where can I find the old school house?
brettp2004
0-99 Poster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Heading to the Big Flat Area Reply with quote

The school house is easiest to access from the buffalo. It's called Cold Spring School. You can see it on google maps. It's past Rush on the buffalo river, if you're looking at the map its on the most southerly bend of the river (past rush)

Jump to:  

Page 1 of 1