Atlas F missile base

Urban exploration in Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Atlas F missile base

Post by BagHead727 »

So not in KC but a reasonable drive from it. There are 12 of these missile silos around Lincoln Nebraska and supposedly this is the only one that is accessible. The rest have been converted to houses or the blast doors in them are sealed shut. There is really only one way in and so they are very easy to seal up...

These silos were used in the late 50s to mid 60s and were phased out by the Titan II missile system. The Atlas rockets were the first rockets capable of carrying a nuclear war head and were 85ft tall and weighed 260,000lbs. They were also pretty unreliable and were nicknamed inner-continental-ballistic-missiles instead or inter-continental... 350 missiles were produced and 24 were launched with only 13 successful launches.

The silo/bunker section is relatively small. There is a 2 level bunker where the crew lived. The first story was the bedroom and kitchen and the 2nd level below ground was the launch room. The floors are on springs which makes them earthquake proof. There is a shaft going from the launch room to the 18 story silo that housed the missile but this was all flooded in the silo that I explored. That didn't stop me from putting on some waders and exploring it. I had an inflatable boat in the car that I would have liked to take down there but didn't want to carry a ton of heavy gear.

Getting there was an adventure in itself. We hiked 2 miles in 100 degree heat carrying all of our gear. At one point we hiked up a drainage ditch between farm fields and I stepped into legitimate quicksand, instantly sinking up to my knees.

Here is the video of the place: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDwG3WSIkJ0
aka "That Guy"
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: Atlas F missile base

Post by BagHead727 »

aka "That Guy"