SubLunar's Blog

Read about other UE sites/blogs/channels/etc. Announce your website updates here!
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: SubLunar's Blog

Post by SubLunar »

Video from The Steel Works is up. And I guess that's the end of the trip updates.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: RE: SubLunar's Blog

Post by Nicotti »

SubLunar wrote:And I guess that's the end of the trip updates.
Guess that means it's time for the next trip! :wink:
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

This is true. This year will be my most adventurous yet. I've got another 3,000 mile trip already in the works coming up in the near future.

Only difference is this will be a family vacation trip. But I do plan to find some cool locations along the way.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: SubLunar

Post by Nicotti »

Kids, over the barb wire fence, quickly now! Time to explore this old asbestos factory.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

SIGH.........

I took some video of a place the last time I went there, which ended up being the last time I ever went there.

The Armour Meat Packing Plant - Final Visit

RIP Armour
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Love that shot near the end when you look down into the skylight from the roof.
Preservation over plunder.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

The Armour Meat Packing Plant - Final Visit

Despite some nearly catastrophic issues with my 40 year old 35mm camera, I was able to get one of my rolls of the last visit to Armour developed and they turned out ok so I put em on the blog.
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

The last pic is really good.

But really. I don't know if you were going for some artistic approach by placing that as the very last picture, but it works well if you think about it...
aka "That Guy"
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

yeah that pic turned out like that and I thought it worked pretty well in that spot.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

There was a ton of work that went into in this post and everything that lead up to it. Hell, just getting the photos developed took a long time. Now that this is completed, I officially return to real life.

I could have broken it up into multiple parts, butt fuck it.

Ghost Towns, Bad Lands and Yellowstones
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

I'm digging the film work! Shame you didn't have any left for the prison, but those shots are great, too. Gas chamber looks badass.
Preservation over plunder.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I actually didn't care about shooting the prison on film. We were just going on a tour of it and shooting film is a giant pain in the ass, particularly when having to load new rolls in the field. I didn't want to be that guy loading rolls of film every 5 minutes. The prison wasn't a for sure thing either, I had it on my list but all the important stuff had happened already. So I knew ahead of time that I'd just shoot the prison on digital if we stopped for the tour.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

And honestly, I thought I totally fucked up the film. I had two different speeds of film, ISO 200 and 400. When I ran out of 200 and switched, I forgot to change the setting on the camera accordingly. After my 2nd or so roll of 400 is when I realized the mistake. Luckily, it's only one "stop" difference so it wasn't drastic. But I'm honestly surprised all the shots turned out as good as they did. I knew it was a risk but I wasn't going on the trip to make a blog post out of it and I figured it'd make it a little more adventurous if I upped the stakes and went with film.

The quality of the scans is shit though, they're probably equivalent to like 2 megapixels. I need to get a scanner and put up some better quality versions.

I've just been experimenting with film for no reason in particular other than that I've been shooting digital so long it just feels too easy now. Most of the time, I know what the shot will look like before i confirm on the screen. It was becoming too predictable and I wanted more of a challenge and to find new experiences.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

SubLunar wrote:I wanted more of a challenge and to find new experiences.
You should make your own tin-types. I hear they are challenging and fun.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

TEN YEARS AGO..

I explored with a camera for the first time and started my stupid blog as a result. This means my stupid blog has documented a DECADE of exploring shenanigans perpetrated by the stupidest and handsomest explorer guy in the midwest and his rad and awesome comrades throughout the years. I've seen lots of hard talkin mofo's quit in the meantime, but I'm still here.

Take a trip with me back to September of 2006* and view the crappy pictures I took of the ghost town of Allenton MO, here. Those shitty pictures were taken on a shitty digital camera (they all were at the time) capable of producing a whopping 1 megapixel of resolution. Hot damn. It's like looking at a copy of a copy of a low resolution digital scan. Fantastic.

But wait, there's MORE.

I didn't recently become stupid, I've been working at it for a long time. My comrades and I have been putting new shit on the map for a solid decade now and kids these days don't even know. Take this weekend for example..

A valiant comrade and I went on a little drive recently and on this drive we derped hard. First location we penetrated is currently owned by something called the "U.S. Government." Sorry, government. Next location we found ourselves inside of was a former Immigration and Customs Enforcement prison. Neither of these spots seem to have made it to the internet before. I found information on them while doing exploring related research and then recon'ed one of them while on a completely unrelated road trip not long ago. Only stupid people go on thousand mile road trips to trespass on government property without any solid intel to go on. But we got inside and we found sweet ass tunnels, too.

In addition to the aforementioned DECADE OF STUPIDITY, I've got other updates coming.

Stay tuned!

*The blog was updated later with the Allenton Post from 2006. I had originally started a blog elsewhere and moved everything over to the current one at some point. That trip was the beginning of my photographic exploring tendencies and thus marks the "official" start date.