what made you happy today?

You can talk about anything here
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: what made you happy today?

Post by Nicotti »

I'm sorry... I'm addicted... to Sub's exploration channel... and masturbation.

In fact I wank off to Sub's exploration channel.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

SubLunar wrote:The first thing you'll notice is TEXTING FUCKING SUCKS on smartphones. I thought that maybe once I had one of my own I wouldn't hate touch screen keyboards so much. Nope, it still blows.
Swipe, bitch.
What kind you get?
Galaxy S5. The S7 is out now, so the S5 is not terribly priced. It had the memory and features I wanted.
Another thing to note is the horrible application of privacy or security features.
Yeah, every fucking app needs access to my location and microphone and camera. Fuck that. The man's listening!

So my dumbass had been avoiding it for years because 1) my friend gets all the new ones every year they come out and spends like $700 every time so I thought that's how much they were, and 2) I thought my plan would go up a lot.

Well, it turns out T-Mobile doesn't really have dumb plans any more. For my $50 a month of dumb phone service, I could have been getting 2gb of data.. all I had to do was buy the phone.

So, my bill didn't even go up. Win!

Now I gotta figure out fucking snapchat and all those things. I got this for the pictures/recording/video.. and uber. I don't care about facebook, snapchat, and reddit.. but since I have the phone, I might as well.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

crazydrummerdude wrote:
SubLunar wrote:The first thing you'll notice is TEXTING FUCKING SUCKS on smartphones. I thought that maybe once I had one of my own I wouldn't hate touch screen keyboards so much. Nope, it still blows.
Swipe, bitch.
Another thing to note is the horrible application of privacy or security features.
Yeah, every fucking app needs access to my location and microphone and camera. Fuck that. The man's listening!
+1 for Swype, but download Google Keyboard instead of whatever came stock on your phone (unless you prefer it).

I haven't looked into the Samsung phones at all, but I'd recommend rooting your phone if you can find a stable solution. Installing a root-only app like XPrivacy gives you granular control of sensor and API permissions on a per-app basis, so you can restrict those stupid fucking FB and Messenger apps as you please. Doing so also helps save battery :D I'd also recommend getting really familiar with the Google Maps app (you can download cached maps on WiFi to save on your cellular data plan when you're outdoors), and keep Google Play Services updated whenever you see it. Other tips to save battery include turning it off when you're out and about, remaining opted-out of Google's Location Service, setting your GPS to Device Only Mode (unless you encounter slowness or other problems), and keeping the screen as dim as comfortable. If you can manually change your network mode, I'd recommend keeping LTE disabled, as 3G/HSPA+ is plenty fast and far less demanding on your battery. Other apps I've found useful include Textra, My Maps, Google Photos (free photo backup), and PushBullet. Apps like Snapchat basically rape your battery while they're running, so close them instead of letting them sit backgrounded. If you're running Android Marshmellow/v6.x, click here.

</tech rant>

I'm happy cause I landed a girlfriend last night. The barren wasteland of Rolla can go fuck itself lol
Preservation over plunder.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

crazydrummerdude wrote:I don't care about facebook, snapchat, and reddit.. but since I have the phone, I might as well.
Famous last words.

mindwaave wrote:I'm happy cause I landed a girlfriend last night. The barren wasteland of Rolla can go fuck itself lol
Pics or it didn't happen. :wink:
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Nicotti wrote:
crazydrummerdude wrote:I don't care about facebook, snapchat, and reddit.. but since I have the phone, I might as well.
Famous last words.

Don't install facebook on your phone. The permissions it wants are the worst I've seen. If you must facebook from your phone, just go to the URL and login there. Personally, I never get on facebook from my phone. I use instagram, sometimes, but I was able to use a program called Advanced Permission Manager and remove its access to location without breaking it. Lots of apps simply stop working when you do this, at least on the version of Andoid I'm running.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

crazydrummerdude wrote: So my dumbass had been avoiding it for years because 1) my friend gets all the new ones every year they come out and spends like $700 every time so I thought that's how much they were, and 2) I thought my plan would go up a lot.

Well, it turns out T-Mobile doesn't really have dumb plans any more. For my $50 a month of dumb phone service, I could have been getting 2gb of data.. all I had to do was buy the phone.

So, my bill didn't even go up. Win!
Well, you weren't wrong for avoiding them. I am the most penny pinching tightwad ever when it comes to certain things. I had an interest in getting a GPS capable phone for a long time but I can tell you from someone who has been watching them evolve over the years..... they only just recently came of age as far as getting capability and reasonable prices.

Until recently, the phones that were cheap enough to put them in the realm of "reasonably priced".. fucking sucked. The cameras sucked, the data speeds sucked. Everything sucked.

Only now are we far enough along in the cell phone evolutionary cycle that it is worth spending 200 bucks on a good used one. Mine is waterproof, has a ~20mpx camera and has functional GPS and I paid $175 for it and it actually brought my bill down.

I got my first cell phone in college, which was 2006ish. I recall everyone flipping out when they came out with cell phones that had cameras. I was like.. dudes. It's a 1mpx piece of shit camera. Nothing to get excited about. And that's the same kind of phone I ran with until just a couple months ago. TEN YEARS of cell phone development is how long it took to get to this point. During this TEN YEARS all the fucking dumbasses have been shelling out HUNDREDS/THOUSANDS of dollars on these shiny turds. I know someone that spent 600 bucks on a MOTO RAZR back when they came out. I later got one free. It had no additional functionality over my old phone it was just thinner. And he spent around 600 bucks for it. Some people just need to update for the sake of updating, not because it is the logical thing to do and they spend tons of money in so doing. I think if people sat down and looked at how much they've paid for their shiny status symbols, they'd realize how much shit they could have bought instead and feel really dumb for how much they've paid and how little return they've got from the investment.

Also, the plans have recently changed, making smartphone data the same price, or less than dumbphone plans. I've checked into this periodically and it wasn't cheaper before. It used to be significantly more expensive. So, avoiding smartphones until recently? 100% justified unless you like throwing money away.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

SubLunar wrote:I got my first cell phone in college, which was 2006ish.
I got my first phone in college too. 9 years earlier.

The bag phone. I had a spiffy ac to dc converter so I could use the phone in my dorm if needed (it was the size and weight of a brick).
redox
aka Sawney Bean
aka Sawney Bean

RE: what made you happy today?

Post by redox »

SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: what made you happy today?

Post by SubLunar »

redox wrote:astro zombies make me happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn-R7B6rmXk
I have this on DVD
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

The flashlight company Thrunite is sending me 2 flashlights and 1headlamp to use for exploring and reviewing. I can't complain about $150+ in free gear
aka "That Guy"
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

BagHead727 wrote:The flashlight company Thrunite is sending me 2 flashlights and 1headlamp to use for exploring and reviewing. I can't complain about $150+ in free gear
Sellout! :P
Preservation over plunder.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

BagHead727 wrote:The flashlight company Thrunite is sending me 2 flashlights and 1headlamp to use for exploring and reviewing. I can't complain about $150+ in free gear
Cause of your youtube channel or why?
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Yeah youtube. They probably expect a plug but I don't know for sure
aka "That Guy"
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: what made you happy today?

Post by SubLunar »

I got some shit for free. I sold it on ebay. I then bought a bunch of stuff I've been wanting for YEARS.

YEARS...

AND I got my Jeep fixed. AND I still have money left over from the free shit I sold.

FUCK YEAH BITCH TITS. This shit NEVER HAPPENS to me. I never get free shit that's worth anything. I never have money to spend on unnecessary things with the exception of one or two roadtrips a year.

Oh and Battlefield 4 released a DLC for free this week. I was actually going to go buy the premium pack for 50 bucks but since they put out about 1/4 of the maps for free, I think I'll save my money. Even when I have free money I don't like to spend it, or my time, on video games. But I make exceptions for Battlefield sometimes. Also I will fucking annihilate you at this game, don't fuck with me and my tanks. One of my favorite things is running over people with a jeep and hoking at them right before they die. I will honk at you. Right before you die.
crazydrummerdude
Minute Man
Minute Man

Post by crazydrummerdude »

My car had been kinda broken down in the work parking lot for a month. It would start up and drive for about 30 seconds, but then it'd die.

It drove home today with no problems. I was nervous the whole time, but I made it.