Jordan Creek Tour

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Re: Jordan Creek Tour

Post by lolabelle »

On Main? Like I said, it's been a long time since I've been that way, but google maps only shows the tunnel directly across the street...

right?
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Re: Jordan Creek Tour

Post by jammer_smith »

yeah, but head over there, right above the entrance to Jordan Creek tunnel there is a large temp building of some kind.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
SimonSays
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Jordan Creek Tour

Post by SimonSays »

I went on the tour!

The first thing the guy told us about on the tour, was the big white tarp temporary building. Apparently, the company that used to be there decades ago did not properly dispose of hazardous material. The entire yard is an EPA designated brownfield site. :shock: If I remember right, I think he said they are slowly taking off a layer of soil at a time, and the huge fans atop the white-tarp-structure suck the contaminates through super fancy (expensive) filters and then its released as clean air at the top.

The tour itself could have been great...except for 2 things:

1. We only got as far as where the old tunnel shows up (the arch portion) and had to turn around. Here's why: There were heavy rains the week before the tour, and as a result sewage lines overflowed and subsequently went into the tunnel. Apparently, this can happen with heavy rains. Going further into the tunnel we would've been poisoned from some gas (that we could evidently smell) and a lack of oxygen.
2. One of the older members of the neighborhood association was a total ass hole. My friend and I brought trash bags with us along the tour, and picked up trash as we went. This ass hole brought one of those trash picker-uper-sticks but instead of helping collect trash he was throwing trash at us, on purpose. He said his stick was only to be used as a walking stick for himself. When I told him to stop throwing trash at us, after he threw wet clothes into my face, he took his stick and punctured my trash bag on purpose and just laughed. When the tour concluded, I walked up to him and broke his stupid stick over my leg and threw it at him. Never been more frustrated by an elderly man in my life. He was just evil.
Cementland Veteran
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: RE: Jordan Creek Tour

Post by Nicotti »

SimonSays wrote:2. One of the older members of the neighborhood association was a total ass hole. My friend and I brought trash bags with us along the tour, and picked up trash as we went. This ass hole brought one of those trash picker-uper-sticks but instead of helping collect trash he was throwing trash at us, on purpose. He said his stick was only to be used as a walking stick for himself. When I told him to stop throwing trash at us, after he threw wet clothes into my face, he took his stick and punctured my trash bag on purpose and just laughed. When the tour concluded, I walked up to him and broke his stupid stick over my leg and threw it at him. Never been more frustrated by an elderly man in my life. He was just evil.
What a dick.

When I still lived in swmo I would clean trash out of the sinkhole behind the campbell 16 theatre monthly. Usually got 6-8 full bags.