Caves in the Springfield-Jasper area?

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
JAKACHAN
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Caves in the Springfield-Jasper area?

Post by JAKACHAN »

Hello everyone!

I am a climber who has just begun caving recently. My girlfriend got me into caving. However, we are running out of caves to explore and were looking at Whippoorwill in Arkansas or some of the Busiek caves. Anyone have any information they would be willing to share on those or any others?

Thanks!
urbannatural
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Caves in the Springfield-Jasper area?

Post by urbannatural »

hey welcome to the forum!! have you tried ash grove?
stone balance artist, explorer, climber, cook...
theotherguy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Caves in the Springfield-Jasper area?

Post by theotherguy »

I think maybe Sequiota does tours, if not you could always "accidentally" wander in
And, in the blinding darkness of the night, we may yet find love if only we look.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

theotherguy wrote:I think maybe Sequiota does tours, if not you could always "accidentally" wander in
Doling is the one that does tours.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

JAKACHAN wrote:Hello everyone!

I am a climber who has just begun caving recently. My girlfriend got me into caving. However, we are running out of caves to explore and were looking at Whippoorwill in Arkansas or some of the Busiek caves. Anyone have any information they would be willing to share on those or any others?

Thanks!
Besides searching threads here, you might consider joining a caving grotto, such as this one.
lolabelle
Cursed With Hotness
Cursed With Hotness

Post by lolabelle »

sequiota also used to do public tours during certain times of the year. the parks board probably can offer better info.
JAKACHAN
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Caves in the Springfield-Jasper area?

Post by JAKACHAN »

urbannatural wrote:hey welcome to the forum!! have you tried ash grove?
Thank you for the welcome! We actually just checked out Ash Grove this past Sunday, the Entrance by the Water Treatment plant was flooded about 30 feet in, but we did go to the bridge entrance right off the creek/river and were able to go a mile back.
Nicotti wrote:Besides searching threads here, you might consider joining a caving grotto, such as this one.
Thanks for the recommendation! We were looking into joining a grotto and did notice this one during our searches.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

JAKACHAN wrote:Thank you for the welcome! We actually just checked out Ash Grove this past Sunday, the Entrance by the Water Treatment plant was flooded about 30 feet in, but we did go to the bridge entrance right off the creek/river and were able to go a mile back.
Did you hit Low Water Bridge while over there? The entrance is right off the road along the path on the north side of the Sac. Here-ish. Lots of flowstone in the entrance, then a crawl thru some breakdown to an L-shaped trunk (if I remember correctly). I think I posted pics on here some place.
JAKACHAN
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by JAKACHAN »

Nicotti wrote: Did you hit Low Water Bridge while over there? The entrance is right off the road along the path on the north side of the Sac. Here-ish. Lots of flowstone in the entrance, then a crawl thru some breakdown to an L-shaped trunk (if I remember correctly). I think I posted pics on here some place.
Indeed we did! We took that pretty far back until we hit some smaller passages up past a big set of columns and decided we would come back another time.

That was definitely a beautiful cave. Saw quite a few blind cave salamanders as well.