Every Cave in Ozark Quadrangle

Urban exploration in Missouri
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Every Cave in Ozark Quadrangle

Post by RedRook »

I sent you everything I know so far, Jammer_Smith, which is a mix of something and nothing.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

Does anyone know Gimpface in real life. I get the feeling if anyone had exactly the information I'm looking for, it would be him.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Re: Every Cave in Ozark Quadrangle

Post by jammer_smith »

Is there a particular reason you are focusing on this particular cave so hard? Have you heard interesting things about it?
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Maybe you two ladies should start going on caving dates together. :wink:
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

Yeah, it's a Baldknobber's Cave, Gimpface has written about it in the past on this forum, though I only see a single mention of the area I'm going to on UO. I'm interested in the cave, but I'm more interested in wandering around the cave and seeing if I randomly come across anything interesting. It's a well known about place and story, so there's a good chance anything interesting has already been found. It is also a much rougher less visited place than something like Wilson's Creek, so who knows what might be laying around out there. The fact that there might be a lost caves is just icing on the cake. I sent more information in PM that might clear up some of the confusion.
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

I think I know where both baldknobber's caves are, and neither are near there. The two locations are, I think, Here: 36.957475, -93.053970 and further south here: 36.813685, -93.115634

Although there may be a third Baldknobber Cave for all I know.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

Thanks for the info. I'll check those out at some point as well.
martimus rex
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by martimus rex »

You probably have a cave map of it. I will have to do a little digging. I think I have some coordinates somewhere. Never been though.
Attachments
cave map
cave map
Carpe Diem
Fischbait
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Fischbait »

I know where one of them is off of h highway at the taney and Christian county line. Not hard to find at all
Caveman2112
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Caveman2112 »

I'm not sure where you got your info or experience with a Grotto but there probably the best thing to ever happen to caves, yes entering a cave is fine but the issue comes with WNS and gates prevent the human transportation of the fungus into major cave systems, without gates entire colonies of bats could be lost. Since white nose is only active during colder times we can assume that bats are not spreading the fungus because they are hibernating, we can infer from this that humans spread it, hence cave gates being a thing. A very important thing. Also we do alot more then gate caves, we help conserve these delicate ecosystems and information about them. We also map and survey caves with permission from the Cave research foundation (CRF). Another example, let's say you find virgin passage and step on a mud bank, chances are that footprint will always be there and that's changing the cave. Like I said exploring caves is fun I myself go frequently with Jon Beard of springfield plateau grotto (SPG) which is a non profit organization. We manage several caves on behalf of land owners who need help. We mostly gate caves due to the fact of endangerd cave species (bristly crayfish, ozarks cave fish) or archeological significance is found like Lon O'Dell memorial cave in Dade County, a sink hole opened up over night in a farmers back yard, explores repelled some 60 feet or so and what they found was a large cave with no other entrances ( orginals caved in) but they found human footprints and torch markings. We gate caves to protect things because that's more important that seeing it in person. I hope this gives a different perspective on Grottos.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time.
Caveman2112
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Caveman2112 »

Also I'm not sure where you got the "let's get drunk and cave" because that defietly doesn't happen lol.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Caveman2112 wrote:Also I'm not sure where you got the "let's get drunk and cave" because that defietly doesn't happen lol.
Have you not been to a MVOR? It most certainly does happen.

I'd say I'm more moderate when it comes to grottos, they're okay for some stuff, but they do stupid things too. But some people here think grotto members are elitist fucktards. And they have that opinion from hanging out in person with grotto members and from grotto members posting on this site.

Also, do you really want to make these two messages your intro into the forum? Comes off a bit elitist to me.

Welcome to the forum.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

Nicotti wrote:
Caveman2112 wrote:Also I'm not sure where you got the "let's get drunk and cave" because that defietly doesn't happen lol.
Have you not been to a MVOR? It most certainly does happen.
Can confirm. Silly caving club leaders would be adamant about rules and safety with everyone but their buddies, with whom they'd go to big caver events and drink/litter in caves. They took photos. So glad I found less hypocritical people to cave with.
Preservation over plunder.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

Wasn't white nose caused/made worse by the same grotto affiliated cavers transmitting the fungus from one to the next cave? Woops. Most average people don't have the knowledge of cave locations or requisite access to facilitate such a mass fungal transmittance.

I definitely understand the plight of the serious caver, however. You tell the wrong person and the next thing you know, some punkass dipshits come in and wreck the place. For this reason, we are in a similar situation. UO is public on the surface but the sensitive topics are not and for that reason we may also be viewed as elitist when certain things come up. But yeah, I've noticed the same things others have mentioned about their experiences in this regard.
Caveman2112
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Caveman2112 »

Whatever your opinion is on Grottos we don't gate caves to be jerks and I mean this is Missouri we are the cave state we have almost 7,000 caves and only a fraction of those are gated, still more to be found. On the drinking part yeah MSS has "caving" weekends where they cave during the day and camp and "drink" at night, I mean would you honestly want to get drunk and go crawl in a cave? And by stupid stuff what do you mean stupid stuff?