Charlie Horse Cave on Gasconade River near Richland MO

General urban exploration stuff -- location specific stuff in the categories below
OzarkKrazO
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Charlie Horse Cave on Gasconade River near Richland MO

Post by OzarkKrazO »

we used to explore this cave a lot when i was a kid with my dad. lots of halls and rooms and the opening would fit two semi-trucks, nearby is an 80 foot cliff richlanders used to jump off of into the gasconade. i can't remember what highway it was but it was directly next to a high bridge.

i heard this cave was turned into a restaurant. does anyone know if the restaurant is still in operation?
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Re: Charlie Horse Cave on Gasconade River near Richland MO

Post by ropingk »

it is or was 3 weeks ago but for the life of me i cant think of the name food is pretty Ok its the setting that is cool they cut a elevator shaft into the cave to get things from one floor to the other and they run 3 comerical dehumidifers 24/7 to keep it dry enought for people and of course its always like 68 degrees
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: Charlie Horse Cave on Gasconade River near Richland MO

Post by BROUSER »

Used to be Caveman Barbecue. Now called Cave Restaurant. Not the most imaginative of names.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Charlie Horse Cave on Gasconade River near Richland MO

Post by SubLunar »

Yeah I floated to it once. We took the long float. It sucked. The gasconade is a nasty fucking river. We got leaches and saw what appeared to be poisonous snakes within the first 10 minutes. And there was no current so we had to paddle the whole way through some nasty stagnant water. Huge nests of spiders falling on our heads repeatedly.

But the cave restaurant was fairly nice. Food was good.
OzarkKrazO
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Charlie Horse Cave on Gasconade River near Richland

Post by OzarkKrazO »

SubLunar wrote:Yeah I floated to it once. We took the long float. It sucked. The gasconade is a nasty fucking river. We got leaches and saw what appeared to be poisonous snakes within the first 10 minutes. And there was no current so we had to paddle the whole way through some nasty stagnant water. Huge nests of spiders falling on our heads repeatedly.

But the cave restaurant was fairly nice. Food was good.
sorry for hitting this QUOTE thing i cant see a REPLY button. anyway, i can imagine the float trip but back in the 60s we had a current but on our way up to Charlie HOrse dad pulled back a branch and pointed to some copperheads hanging in the trees and held the limb way back as they were trying to drop down on us LOL. then one time at what was called 'The Rock' where there was a big rope that went way out to the middle of the river where we all loved to swim but we always had a tester. someone would hang on and stick a big paddle or stick all around to make sure there were no cottonmouth nests that had floated into the vicinity. one time this football player (the star player wouldn't you know in Richland, his name was Roger HIghtower, just grabbed on and swung out and dropped right into a nest of cottonmouths... he was dead by the time he reached the shallows. a tragedy for Richland, indeed! my dad was quite the daredevil but fortunately agile, careful and very strong. sometimes i did just have to say no, though lol. i wouldn't let him hang me by my heels and swing me off the 80 foot cliff down hill from CHarlie HOrse, for instance, though my big sister would ;D
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: RE: Charlie Horse Cave on Gasconade River near Richland

Post by Nicotti »

When I saw you mention that you floated there, I immediately thought, "Isn't that the float where Sub's GF was topless?" According to your link, it is.... it's good to know I remember the important things...
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand