Camp Scott Girl Scout Camp - Murders

Urban exploration in Oklahoma
johnnymonnky
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster
Location: west texas/optima/guymon/buffallo/freedom/ponca city/and rodeo's everywhere

RE: Camp Scott Girl Scout Camp - Murders

Post by johnnymonnky »

OK
MATTHEWAK47
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: Camp Scott Girl Scout Camp - Murders

Post by MATTHEWAK47 »

johnnymonnky wrote:OK
TELL ME WHEN AND WE WILL GO...
JKaluza
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Camp Scott Girl Scout Camp - Murders

Post by JKaluza »

Any new info on Camp Scott? I thought about driving out that way this afternoon.
betrumka66
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by betrumka66 »

I had to change my screen name from betrumka to betrumka66 because, I assume, my account had gone inactive.

At any rate I started this thread over 9 years ago, back in in 2004.

I always assumed that someone would have posted some photos of the former Girl Scout Camp, but, although many promised they would, no one apparently ever did.

Here we go...

Porch of the Great Hall (the dining hall)
GS13 by herrweaver66,

Inside the Dining Hall

GS12 by herrweaver66, on Flickron Flickr

My understanding is that this was a small shelter over an area where the campers could wash their hands on their way to the dining hall.
GS10 by herrweaver66, on Flickr

Arts and Crafts Building
GS8 by herrweaver66, on Flickr

Building where the dining hall staff lived during the camp sessions.
GS7 by herrweaver66, on Flickr

The entrance to the former camp, basically as it still looks today -

GS6 by herrweaver66, on Flickr
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

Love the website. Tell me about Tent 8.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
betrumka66
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by betrumka66 »

Tent 8 is a really good book by Gloyd McCoy. I have spoken with and met with Mr McCoy a number of times and he is a real gentleman. He is a defense attorney from Oklahoma City.

His book does not take a stand on who actually committed the murders. His book more or less analyzes the trial from the standpoint of a lawyer. That alone is a fascinating study.

As a life long Oklahoman familiar with Oklahoma politics and the political climate in the state his book also gives a lot of insight into what was going on in the state at the time politically and socially. What other crimes of note were committed around the same time. As I remember there is also a good deal of information about the social and political situation between Indians and whites in the late 1970s.

The Wilkersons' book does that too, to a certain extent, but the view point of a seasoned trial attorney like Gloyd is very valuable.

Thanks for your comments about www.girlscoutmurders.com I built that site starting back in 2009 and I really need to do some updating to it. There have been no official developments in the case but there has been some things related to the case and the events that deserve to be documented in some way.

cs10 by herrweaver66, on Flickr
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

Sounds interesting. I have only read a few excerpts of "Cry for the Children" but recall thinking that it could use some insight from somebody who actually knows anything about criminal proceedings. Tent 8 seems like it might fill that gap.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
Zeno
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Zeno »

I've heard they've pretty much demolished everything and sold it off in lots and people are building houses. Is this true?
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

talk about bring back the dead
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
Zeno
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Zeno »

The last comment wasn't even a year old, and for this place that's actually kind of recent.

It's relevant updated information on a popular location. Your post, however, is spam and should be deleted.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

im pretty sure you are not talking about me but then maybe you are :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead
xgibson22x
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by xgibson22x »

Does anyone know if this site is still up or if it has been demolished like said in a previous comment. me and a group of mine have been wanting to check this out but haven't gotten the chance till now. Anyone with any information that is legit please let me know. thanks.
ghosthuntersofsouthtulsa.net
Aerohog
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Aerohog »

This case has really gotten under my skin. Much frustration comes from a lack of accurate, scaled maps of the camp buildings and trails. Reading the transcript of the preliminary testimony, there was only one map in evidence which covered just the Kiowa camp and where the bodies were found. Witnesses were repeatedly asked how far it was from one particular place to another and they would guess distance or the approximate time to walk or run from one point to the other. Asked where a particular building was in relationship to the map they did have, one witness answered"on the floor somewhere". I have seen accounts of a particular distance of interest varying anywhere from 50 feet to 70 yards!
Fiend
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: Camp Scott Girl Scout Camp - Murders

Post by Fiend »

Aerohog wrote: Kiowa camp and where the bodies were found. !
I saw the crime scene picture of the covered up bodies. And (with the help of some people who know quite a bit about the site) found and stood in that exact spot.

When I was there a few years back, many of the buildings there were being used as hunting cabins and what not. I seriously doubt anything was torn down.
talbotthemad
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by talbotthemad »

Is it time for this threads yearly bump up, yet? :mrgreen: