Tallest Cliffs in The Ozarks?

Urban exploration in Missouri
Redwashere
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Tallest Cliffs in The Ozarks?

Post by Redwashere »

So Ive been interested in finding the tallest "cliffs" in Missouri. It could be a Highway cut, strip mine, natural, whatever. Anyone on pics, locations, and heights? This would be a good thing to have because there is not a set list of these on the internet to my research.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Re: Tallest Cliffs in The Ozarks?

Post by jammer_smith »

Devil's Den out by the Panther Valley Mine is pretty damn deep, but it's always hard for me to judge height looking down from above. The Grand Gulf has vertical drops of 120-150 feet. The Upper Jacks fork river has some damn tall bluffs, especially the bluff just upstream from Jam Up Cave if I recall.

There is a large park just south of St Louis right on the River that has some very tall bluffs overlooking the Mississippi and into Illinois.

If you are willing to drive a little south into Arkansas the Boston Mountains have some seriously impressive bluffs and canyons.

I mean, the "tallest" is going to very much depend on what area you are in. How about a range? The tallest within about x hour drive of Y city?
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
Redwashere
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Tallest Cliffs in The Ozarks?

Post by Redwashere »

Range dosent matter. If its a tall enough cliff, its worth checking out.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

The best resource for what you are looking for is probably the Earth Point Topo's here:
http://www.earthpoint.us/TopoMap.aspx

If you open that KML file with Google Earth open, it will overlay topographical maps on Google Earth. It makes it easy to find cliffs and their heights.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Most strip mines/quarries are stair stepped for stability and don't have large sheer faces.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Zeno
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Zeno »

Tallest overlook in the Ozarks? How about the tallest sheer bluff face found between the Rocky and Appalachian mountains? Big Bluff over the Buffalo river is 550' straight down.

It's a beautiful hike and view if you haven't heard already. Google "big bluff goat trail".
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Post by Chris »

jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Post by jammer_smith »

There is a bluff in the northern part of Oregon County, Cane Bluff, that is 300 feet tall. That's pretty big.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
ans015
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ans015 »

i dont know much about up in MO but i know the tallest cliff in all of the ozarks is Big Bluff on the Buffalo National River in Newton County AR. it's recorded as 500ft+
ans015
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by ans015 »

Grand Canyon of the ozarks is also interesting. it is also in Newton county. Its a name for a view along a highway.
Redwashere
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Redwashere »

That 550' in Arkansas seems pretty sweet, Im asking for future refrence. Im starting my AFF training soon and want to eventually get some sweet exits in the Ozarks. Not much online of where people do them. BASE jumping is Illegal though and they wouldent just throw out a jem for everyone to see.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH