South Creek Church of God being Restored.

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

South Creek Church of God being Restored.

Post by RedRook »

Anyone that does anything around South Creek recognizes this little abandoned church. You'll see it on the right hand side of the road on the way to the Greenways trail. The place is being restored. They believe it was owned by a Civil War veteran that donated it to the original Methodist Congregation. Later it was used by a Church of God congregation that ran out of the funds needed to maintain it. If you have any interest in helping these people out with the restoration, let me know in PM.
Attachments
1014267_668267489867337_880804610_n.jpg
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Re: South Creek Church of God being Restored.

Post by jammer_smith »

That's neat, but there is another abandoned church like what, 300 feet away further up the road, and most of the houses around there are abandoned. Does that little "community" have enough people to constitute a congregation? Apparently it supported two congregations at some point.

I've been in that church, back before it was so well boarded up. It's got some pretty walnut pews in it that would really shine with a bit of restoration,and I think there was an old piano way past recovery. Not sure, it's been a long time since I was in there.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: South Creek Church of God being Restored.

Post by RedRook »

I haven't found anything out about the church up the street. I'm not even 100% sure if it was a church. I found the owner, but he won't respond to me. As for the community, my best guess is that giant coal power plant being put there in the 70's had something to do with the population change.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

At one point, I found old maps of the area that show relatively small close together farms. If you go wandering the woods on the north side, you find foundations that have been busted up, put in a pile and just left there. On the south side, I never really found anything that isn't obviously visible from the path, such as the grave yard and the silo. There is a decent Black Rat Snake population. I'll try to dig up that map, I remember it took me a while to find the first time.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: South Creek Church of God being Restored.

Post by BROUSER »

Another good reason for moving away from there would be the sewage treatment plant close by. It can get pretty whiffy in that area. I lived close for a while. That would be an area with a lot of history. I imagine as people spread out from Springfield they would have moved down Jordan/Wilson's creek. I have a great great great great great (great?) grandfather buried in a cemetery on the grounds of the sewage treatment plant. He was married to one of John Polk Campbell's grand daughters.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

It's gone. The church has collapsed. :(