ozark wonder cave?

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
sulfurburner
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

ozark wonder cave?

Post by sulfurburner »

this isn't exactly springfield but SW Missouri. I'm trying to find info on Ozark Wonder Cave. It used to be a show cave a long time ago I believe opened by the same guy that ran Truitt's cave in Lanagan. supposedly it's located near pineville/Noel. I'm headed down that way later this week and would like to find it. we've looked before with no luck. anyone know anything about it?

RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: ozark wonder cave?

Post by RedRook »

There were three Ozark Wonder caves I know about. The two that are findable are talked about here:
http://www.undergroundozarks.com/forum/ ... onder+cave

They are both on private property. You're going to be pretty clearly trespassing if you go in it, so I don't personally recommend this cave.

The other previously show cave named Ozark Wonder Cave could possible be off of private property, but I haven't been able to find it yet. I think it might be under water now.

It's supposed to be right here:
Map

I didn't find anything myself, but my sources are from before the river was that exact shape. If there is a cave there it is described as being huge and two leveled. I have no desire to scuba in a cave, so I gave up the search. There is still a chance it is above ground, and I'm just not able to find it in reference to the changed river.

That "Ozark Wonder Cave" name seems fairly common, not as common as Onyx cave, but common.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

sulfurburner
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by sulfurburner »

I'm fairly certain the spot on the map you linked isn't the same one I'm looking for. Witt's resort was in Elk Springs, which is close to Noel.

There's another former show cave called Mt. Shira in that area. I'm pretty sure I know where it's at but it's not accessible.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: ozark wonder cave?

Post by RedRook »

sulfurburner wrote:I'm fairly certain the spot on the map you linked isn't the same one I'm looking for. Witt's resort was in Elk Springs, which is close to Noel.

There's another former show cave called Mt. Shira in that area. I'm pretty sure I know where it's at but it's not accessible.
Yeah, the map was to a third cave named "Ozark Wonder Cave." It isn't the Noel one. The second post I did is stuff directly about the Noel cave. I just find it useful to know there is more than one feature with the name I'm looking for. When you search on the internet, you can end up in wild goose chases only to find out several different places had the same name.
sulfurburner
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by sulfurburner »

Big thanks to everyone on the site that was willing to help me with info on caves in the area we visted! allthough we haven't located the "Ozark Wonder Cave" or Witt's Resort we did manage to find 4 others in the area.

I'll try to post some pictures soon. We'll be making another trip here in about a month so I'm hoping to continue exploring and finding more!
sulfurburner
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by sulfurburner »

Bump. Still looking for this cave 5 years later.
overslept
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: RE: ozark wonder cave?

Post by overslept »

sulfurburner wrote:Bump. Still looking for this cave 5 years later.
https://collections.shsmo.org/manuscrip ... ald-county
This link may assist you in your search there are many cave listed there and perhaps researching each cave listed will result in you finding what you need
we lost out here
hollywood6968
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: ozark wonder cave?

Post by hollywood6968 »

I think I may know the cave you are looking for. If you go to Lanagan Missouri and stay on hwy 59 as if you were going to Noel, past Truitts cave you will come to a curve in the road as you go up a hill. Continue up the hill and start down. Just before you get to the bottom of the hill there will be a road on your left and I believe it has a sign for Eagles nest resort. Take that left turn and continue till you go over the bridge. After that bridge you will come to a fork in the road. Take the right hand side and if I remember correctly the first house on the left is where the cave entrance is. Now I can say this, the property did sell sometime in the late 70s to mid 80s and the new owners have closed it to tours but I havent been down there in several years so I'm not sure if it has changed its policy but when I went thru the cave as a teenager it was VERY well decorated and it has stuck in my mind since that one tour and I have been to almost all of the known caves in the county. If you do get the opportunity to go thru it I would highly recommend it. Just be respectful of the owners and ask first because the entrance is about 50-75 feet from their back door. Happy Hunting and let me know how it works out