Aquatic Cave Fauna Survey

Urban exploration in Arkansas
GoFurther
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Aquatic Cave Fauna Survey

Post by GoFurther »

Stumbled onto an interesting report that was published in 2000, it's a survey of aquatic cave fauna in Arkansas...

The report provides a wealth of information, including; caves listed by name, the county in which the cave is found, the water Ph levels, and the species found within the specific caves...

It's definitely an interesting read, I know it might not appeal to all... but, I thought I'd share...

http://www.uark.edu/depts/awrc/pdf_file ... SC-286.PDF
Zeno
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Aquatic Cave Fauna Survey

Post by Zeno »

I've been reading a lot of cave fauna and geological surveys since I got into caving. Very interesting stuff, especially when you've been to the caves they're studying.
s.sisco
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: Aquatic Cave Fauna Survey

Post by s.sisco »

Yeah those PDF are great. It takes a lot of time to go through them though, and a lot of the time there's just not enough info to actually find the cave. But you can always try to dig deeper. :wink:
Btw I'm a douche. That is all...
hogtexan
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Aquatic Cave Fauna Survey

Post by hogtexan »

I'm new to this forum but would like to share my passion for locating/studying wild caves in Arkansas. First of all, I don't explore caves (too old for that), but I love to study the location and formation of caves especially in the Ozark Karst formation. I photograph cave entrances, but don't enter. I respect the laws and also want to protect caves, bats, etc. from damage and vandalism. However, it hacks me off when a Park Ranger tells me he can't give me cave locations in order to protect them but they will allow scientists, caving clubs, etc. access. I pay taxes to enjoy nature and as a responsible citizen I believe I have a right to enjoy such wonders of the Natural State!!!

Enough rant. I've researched other U of Ark. cave fauna studies that show cave locations and am currently trying to locate each on Google Earth. One such study is found at

http://libinfo.uark.edu/aas/issues/2003v57/v57a6.pdf

This particular study shows over 46 caves in the Sylamore Ranger District north of Mountain View, Ark. I'm working to develop GPS coordinates of caves I'd like to visit and photograph and would like to your input on cave locations in north Arkansas.[/i]