1950's Limestone Quarry

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Re: 1950

Post by jammer_smith »

I cannot recall where I found the reference, but somewhere I read something about "Williams Spring and Cave to the east of Knox Cave and north of Springfield." of course Knox Cave is now called Fantastic Caverns. So, I suspect that the spring and cave you are spying on Googlemaps is Williams Cave/Spring. I have not managed to get out there to verify yet, but when I do I think the best path would be to park at Fantastic Caverns, hike back to the Indian Spring, then along the creek.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Re: 1950

Post by jammer_smith »

Also of note, if you are hiking along the creek from the back side of the Fantastic Caverns property: There is another cave on the Fantastic Caverns property, Fantastic Break Down Cave I think it's called. It doesn't connect to the show cave, but I don't think it's gate, and the brief description I read of it said it had "A beautiful view of the river 60 feet below" which tells me that the opening is somewhere in that ridge east of Indian Spring, but so far on my few trips out there I have not been able to find it.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine