Abandoned area close to town on public trail.

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
jammer_smith
The Goose Slayer
The Goose Slayer

Re: Abandoned area close to town on public trail.

Post by jammer_smith »

I've been all over that area between exploration and morel hunting, an poked around in most of the abandoned buildings out there. That little Sinkhole cave you are pointing out seems to be not much more than a chimney opening down into a muddy hole. If you hope the fence and poke around in the woods to the east of there, you'll find several other sinkholes but nothing substantial, and a few gorges filled with old junk. In fact you'll find a lot of junk, humans have not been kind to that parcel of land. Keep going on east and you'll come to an abandoned house by the turn off to the power plant. It's worth poking around in if you like abandoned houses. I've found a few hobo nests in there before.

South of there, on the same property, there is an old barn, then if you bend back west and head across the fields towards the Greenway parking down by the Church of God you'll cross a few abandoned houses and outbuildings. There are also a couple of nice springs out there, Roundtree Spring (I think is the name) is the biggest. Of course there is the graveyard as well, where I have found a Geocache before.

If you keep following the trail all the way to its absolute end, under the highway bridge, but just keep going along the creek, pushing past, you'll find what seems to be a large private dirtbike/ATV area.

And that is the extent of my knowledge.

One of the Greenway folks told me that it was the dream of the project to one day have the South Creek Greenway go all of the way and connect to Wilson Creek Battlefield. They say they have secured property rights to do so, and have the course plotted, but it's a matter of funding as that would be the longest stretch in the whole system.
"To argue with a man who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Abandoned area close to town on public trail.

Post by RedRook »

Yeah, I've been back to the dirt bike trails as well. I may have found many of the things you speak of. A lot of that including the spring is on private land, so I'm not sure. ;)

I wonder which of those properties are in limbo, because they're still listed as if private owners have them. I've seen other park land stay that way until they make it an official park. I don't see any budgets for South Creek Trail work. :( What they built supposedly cost 300,000. Based on that cost, it would be about 450,000 to get to Wilson's Creek plus the cost of a walking bridge, whatever that runs. What a nice long trail that would be if we could get it. Considering you can just hop up Battlefield to get to the other Green Ways, it would really put some distance on the whole system.