Plano Ruins

Urban exploration in Missouri
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Plano Ruins

Post by RedRook »

http://archive.news-leader.com/article/ ... toric-site:

Interesting article about this place. Looks like it's pretty easy to get to. This might be a cool place to check out while I wait for the snow and ice to clear in rougher terrain.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Re: Plano Ruins

Post by BROUSER »

Not much to it, but it is interesting. If you are out that way, might as well go on to Fenix quarry. Stop in at the office, ask them if you can look around. Worked for me, but that's been a few years ago. Directly across the road is the old quarry, overgrown but still pretty damn cool.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Not much to it, but it is interesting. If you are out that way, might as well go on to Fenix quarry. Stop in at the office, ask them if you can look around. Worked for me, but that's been a few years ago. Directly across the road is the old quarry, overgrown but still pretty damn cool.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

― Ken Ham
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Plano Ruins

Post by RedRook »

Good suggestion. I was trying to think of what else to roam around and see in that direction.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

I went to Plano and Phenix. Here's what I saw.
Attachments
Plano.jpg
PhenixSignSmall.jpg
WallSmall.jpg
TreeTop.jpg
RockHillSmall.jpg
HouseSmall.jpg
FunnelTop.jpg
FrontSmall.jpg
FirePlaceSmall.jpg
BackSmall.jpg
InsideCastleSmall.jpg
StopSmall.jpg
CrackSmall.jpg
CastleFrontSmall.jpg
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

I also came across a bridge marked "Kat's Bridge." Apparently the original bridge was named "Prospect Bridge." Greene County looks like they were going to spend over a million to do archaeological work on the site.

http://www.greenecountymo.org/highway/kats_bridge.php

Does anyone know more of the story of why what the "Prospect" was or better yet, what were the archaeological finds.

RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

I found a little more information about the Prospect Bridge I drove by. It was the name of the spring there on private land just up the hill to the west. There's an abandoned copper mine less than a mile north of here. I can't confirm if that was the prospect, but it's the only recorded mine of value nearby. It seems there was also a church and a cemetery as well, but the church burned down. The cemetery is still there on the southeast side of the bridge.

As for the Archaeology:
http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/prospect.html
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2 ... 9744&uid=2

In summary, they found a large number of arrow heads and ceramics. They also found some fire pits that let them come up with a date of about 1250+-50 A.D.. Apparently, the previous theory was that natives from Oklahoma and Arkansas were expanding into this region, since their style of pottery and arrow heads started showing up. These people were recently called the "Ozark Bluff Dwellers," and they were thought to be one large society spread across the entire Ozarks. The problem is that in Oklahoma and Arkansas these artifacts start showing up as early as the eighth century along with square permanent structures and trade beads. At this site, like others in Southwest Missouri, they found none of these other forms of technology, and even the late arriving pottery lacks the decoration found elsewhere in the Ozarks. They interpret what they failed to find as evidence that people in Southwest Missouri were a separate isolated culture with only mild influence from their neighbors. They believe they didn't have the large populations or social hierarchies of these other societies, so the "Ozark Bluff Dwellers" are now thought to be a collection of separate societies with Southwest Missouri being on the periphery.
Last edited by RedRook on Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

nice.