Witch Pits?

Urban exploration in Springfield, Missouri
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Re: Witch Pits?

Post by gimpface »

jammer_smith wrote:So, If I am reading those mine maps correctly, and I might not be because I have no experience with mine maps, it looks like all of those Mine shafts along Peirson Creek are not just pits, but connect to horizontal lengths of passage. Is that right? At least that is what it looks like here. If that is the case, how in the world has nobody on this site discovered them yet? Seems like UE gold, really dangerous UE gold, but still attractive.
That's the way I read it, yeah. As for why none of us have been in them, these mines are ancient, and it's entirely possible they've all collapsed, or maybe even just the entrances to the shafts have collapsed. That shaft in the pic above was likely very deep before they shut down (why would they build those cast structures for such a shallow hole?) but over the years it has probably been slowly collapsing and filing itself in. Remember, this area has been mined since at least the early 1800's, some of these shafts are likely well over a hundred years old, and mines from that era weren't that stable to begin with.

That said, I do believe from what that guy was telling me that at least one of them IS accessible in some manner. I never got his name, but I do recall where he lives, so I may drop by and ask him about it sometime.

RedRook, I'm fairly certain that the mine Schoolcraft describes is in this area, and in fact I seem to recall a historical marker on that road somewhere that mentions it. If I had to guess, I'd say that the mine near the Gem Mine marked as "surface diggings" is probably very close to the Indian mine he describes, or may even be the mine itself.
Vampire Killings, buy one get one FREE!
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

Post by gimpface »

So I attempted to drive out to where I recall the Historical marker being but couldn't find it. It's possible that it's no longer there, or maybe I just got more lost than usual while trying to find it.
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Perhaps the marker was hidden by witch magic.
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
gimpface
Zen Master
Zen Master

RE: Witch Pits?

Post by gimpface »

It might have been obscured by the horrible fog of funk coming from he pits of nearby witches.