Steelville Area

Urban exploration in Missouri
GoFurther
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Steelville Area

Post by GoFurther »

This doesn't help narrow down the search in any way, shape, or form... however I stumbled onto this ad for the Steelville Institute published in "Sullivan Sentinel", issue 11-27-1902.

I'll continue searching the online archives for more relevant information...
Attachments
Steelville MO Institue.jpg
martimus rex
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by martimus rex »

Pretty sure the old college is on the hill just north of town. Going from Main Street up the hill to Wildwood lodge. I think it was the first location for Steelville manufacturing.

Man, the old Cherryville school is a very scary place. I think someone still lives there.

The last time I went by Midland Mine, someone was building a house in front of it.
Carpe Diem
wwolf
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by wwolf »

I'v been doing a lot of metal detecting near ware highway 8 crosses the Huzzah. There seems to have been a significant amount of activity in the area around 1900.

I couldn't find the older ones I had but this website may help.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/missouri/
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Re: Steelville Area

Post by Chris »

There certainly was. There was iron smelters, mining operations, railroads, logging operations, and thousands of people who supported them.

I'm currently working on a KMZ file detailing, as best as I can anyway, the Frisco railroad's Salem branch including all of it's branch lines, along with construction and abandonment dates. It will have a lot of history sprinkled in revolving around the Sligo furnace company as well as other mines, place names, and industries in the area.
wwolf
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by wwolf »

Are you going to post it once its complete? I would really be interested to see whats in the area.

I'v most recently been exploring the caves in the area and found some interesting things. One had a few hundred square nails and a peace of jewelry with a stone that I have yet to Identify.
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Post by Chris »

Absolutely.
Meester Beeg
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Meester Beeg »

I have read some stuff online detailing the rail lines in the Steelville area. Darn if I can remember where.
If you look at Google Earth you can still see the old rail alignment running east of town.
Beware the Black Widows...feared throughout the land!
Chris
King of the Man Bugs!
King of the Man Bugs!

Post by Chris »

Here is my .KMZ file. Something like this is never "done" but it has everything I've discovered thus far. I'd like to add some more images but there just aren't a lot out there and right now I've just got links in the descriptions to images already on the web.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lortpjdja6qb5 ... y.kmz?dl=0
lpfan
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster
Location: cuba mo bourbon mo sullivan mo troy mo imperial mo st louis and now rolla

Post by lpfan »

I propose a meet up haven't been active for a while but I've bought a home in Steelville that butts up to the old line. So we have our HQ
Fgee
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Fgee »

hi guys. i was reading your post and comments about midland. my grandma and grandpa owned one of the last remaining school that midland had. my mom grew up there. its on sankey road sitting on the hill. below the hill was the old town of midland. the remenents of the rr that ran through there are still very visible. and yes its still standing.
Fgee
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Post by Fgee »

I also have papers printed out of the maps of midland and where everything was. I would have to look through all my papers to find it. lord knows where it is at the moment lol.