Looking for ideas

You can talk about anything here
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Looking for ideas

Post by Kit »

I am going to take a spur of the moment road Trip starting Thursday and can go anywhere with in 10-12 hours driving.

Looking for interesting or cool ideas to do. Not exploring abandoned things but just interesting adventure ideas.

Let me know if you have any. :)
Kit wrote:I am old
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Re: Looking for ideas

Post by Nicotti »

Colorado Springs.

I did a quick 3-4 day trip there about 5 years ago. Took highway 400 over thru Dodge City.

I went on the Pikes Peak Cog Train first. Then I wanted to go to Royal Gorge bridge but it seemed kind expensive (it's just a bridge after all), so I did the Royal Gorge Route railroad tour instead. (If you take the train tour make sure you sit on the side of the train facing the river, otherwise all you'll see is a rock wall the whole time.) Then went to The winery gift shop at the Holy Cross Abbey near Canon City. And finally I went to the Garden of the Gods.

I wanted to go to the Air Force Academy Chapel, but I didn't have time.

I went in the summer. It was just me and I slept in my car to save money. It cost me about $350-$400ish I think, I don't really remember, that's including gas, attractions, food, and other stuff I bought.

I drove to about an hour past Wichita on a Friday after work. Then to Colorado Springs on Saturday. Did stuff sat and sun till dark then drove home. Drove home by 24 to 70 to 81. sunday night stopped just past the Colorado/Kansas border. Monday drove the rest of the way home. This was while I still lived in Branson. I have college friends that live in se Kansas, so that's why I didn't take any major highways thru that part of the trip.

It was literally a spur of the moment trip for me, I had a 3 day weekend coming up and I was like, "I've wanted to go back there since forever, I'm going this weekend!"
More online investigation than onsite exploration these days.

“My dear fellow, who will let you?”
“That’s not the point. The point is, who will stop me?”
-Ayn Rand
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

Chicago by train from St Louis is also fun.

-Ayn Rand
Kit
The Woman
The Woman

Post by Kit »

Do you just rent a car in Chicago?
Kit wrote:I am old
Nicotti
The Awkward Ninja
The Awkward Ninja

Post by Nicotti »

No we used public transportation. My gf at the time wasn't sure how nice/safe the pt would be so we stayed at a new hotel at S State and 26th (it's not yet built on Bing map imagery) cause we found a travel deal. But after she was on the pt, she said next time we go we should stay out by the airport in the less expensive hotels and take the pt in.

Plus you don't have to worry about trying to park that way, cause it's a big pain in the city. Granted it was early fall when we went though, so not as cold.

-Ayn Rand
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Looking for ideas

Post by RedRook »

Any suggestions on low risk Urban Ex sites in Chicago would be appreciated. By low risk, I mean places where I can figure out where to ask permission. Chicago is a frequent location for me the next few weeks, but I can't afford to run into trouble while I'm out there.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

I don't know any of those kinds of locations.

U-505 in the science museum was pretty rad.
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

Nicotti wrote:Colorado Springs.

I did a quick 3-4 day trip there about 5 years ago. Took highway 400 over thru Dodge City.

I went on the Pikes Peak Cog Train first. Then I wanted to go to Royal Gorge bridge but it seemed kind expensive (it's just a bridge after all), so I did the Royal Gorge Route railroad tour instead. (If you take the train tour make sure you sit on the side of the train facing the river, otherwise all you'll see is a rock wall the whole time.) Then went to The winery gift shop at the Holy Cross Abbey near Canon City. And finally I went to the Garden of the Gods.

I wanted to go to the Air Force Academy Chapel, but I didn't have time.

I went in the summer. It was just me and I slept in my car to save money. It cost me about $350-$400ish I think, I don't really remember, that's including gas, attractions, food, and other stuff I bought.

I drove to about an hour past Wichita on a Friday after work. Then to Colorado Springs on Saturday. Did stuff sat and sun till dark then drove home. Drove home by 24 to 70 to 81. sunday night stopped just past the Colorado/Kansas border. Monday drove the rest of the way home. This was while I still lived in Branson. I have college friends that live in se Kansas, so that's why I didn't take any major highways thru that part of the trip.

It was literally a spur of the moment trip for me, I had a 3 day weekend coming up and I was like, "I've wanted to go back there since forever, I'm going this weekend!"
I actually just got some time off from work and school at the end of September, and went to Colorado for several days. Spent the first night in Denver, then went to Idaho Springs for a few days. On my third day, I went to Breckenridge and Leadville, and over Independence Pass to Aspen. After a night in downtown Aspen I came home. I will back you up Nic it does take about 11-12 hours to drive to the Springs or Denver from here. I usually also sleep in my car, but this time got a deal on a hotel package from a friend who works at Expedia. Just make sure to avoid Denver's Best Inn. I had a great time, and even found a few possible job opportunities in the cannabis industry to apply my CJ degree.
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.
radguy
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by radguy »

We went up above the gorge bridge to the park and climbed down to the gorge. It was awesome, just don't slip.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-i-dk ... 14%2B-%2B3

South of Chicago in Morris there is an old mantle factory that was awesome to explore. There is tons of stuff in Joliet as well.