Post Something Interesting

You can talk about anything here
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: Post Something Interesting

Post by paul06660 »

BagHead727 wrote:I hate when people always rag on about displacement/cubic inches and act like domestics are inferior because they have a larger displacement. Cubic-inches of displacement = bore X stroke. Believe it or not, the bore of a large displacement engine can often be the same or similar size of that of a smaller displacement engine. You can have a small displacement engine and compensate by having higher revolutions. It means nothing, it's all about how you tune it. Shoot, up until 5,500rpm (close to my max rpm) I make more power than a v10 Lamborghini Gallardo at that same engine speed.

Fun fact: The bore of a Chevy 302 is the same as a 383. The stroke of a 267 is the same as a 377.
Domestics are not inferior because they have a larger engines, they are inferior because they make far less power per displacement than many imports. This is because most imports have better technology in their engine setups that allow them to make power more efficiently. Variable valve timing is one example, especially in Honda's Vtec and I-Vtec systems.
We are all just sloguns waiting to have our triggers pulled.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

RE: Post Something Interesting

Post by SubLunar »

Build quality and better technology are your opinion there pal. If you ask me the GTR looks like any other piece of shit on the road today. That car is ugly. The z/28 is dominating the field right now and I'm sorry it hurts your butt to admit it.
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Re: RE: Post Something Interesting

Post by paul06660 »

SubLunar wrote:Build quality and better technology are your opinion there pal. If you ask me the GTR looks like any other piece of shit on the road today. That car is ugly. The z/28 is dominating the field right now and I'm sorry it hurts your butt to admit it.
Butthurt: not one bit. The fact is GM continues to build shitty cars all around, just like they did before bankruptcy. Hell I would rather own a Ford.
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

I still don't see power per CID as so relevant. Displacement is more personal preference than anything. It just comes down to how you tune the engine and how you want the car to drive. Compression ratio and cylinder head flow are just as important.

You're Acura with a 2L 11:1 compression makes 200hp/140tq.
My 5.7L 9:1 compression makes 350hp/400tq. If I bumped the compression to 11:1 I'd make the same power per CID as the Acura if not more. The price/power is much lower too.

Point being, there are things a lot more important than displacement and saying a car is inferior based on displacement is stupid.
aka "That Guy"
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

BagHead727 wrote:I still don't see power per CID as so relevant. Displacement is more personal preference than anything. It just comes down to how you tune the engine and how you want the car to drive. Compression ratio and cylinder head flow are just as important.

You're Acura with a 2L 11:1 compression makes 200hp/140tq.
My 5.7L 9:1 compression makes 350hp/400tq. If I bumped the compression to 11:1 I'd make the same power per CID as the Acura if not more. The price/power is much lower too.

Point being, there are things a lot more important than displacement and saying a car is inferior based on displacement is stupid.
I dont know, even with 11 to1 compression on your smallblock, I do not see it producing similar power and still being street friendly without variable valve timing. About price to power ratio, I bought the car just for regular driving, not to race it all the time. Its more of a blend of luxury and sportiness, with great fuel economy and reliability. It will also still spank most swapped hondas, except those stupid bubble hatches with an h22.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

paul06660 wrote:
SubLunar wrote:Build quality and better technology are your opinion there pal. If you ask me the GTR looks like any other piece of shit on the road today. That car is ugly. The z/28 is dominating the field right now and I'm sorry it hurts your butt to admit it.
Butthurt: not one bit. The fact is GM continues to build shitty cars all around, just like they did before bankruptcy. Hell I would rather own a Ford.
That's like your opinion, man.

Yes, the bankruptcy is definitely a tarnish on their record and I respect ford alot more now than I did before. But I don't believe a few CEOs making shitty decisions speaks for the qualit of the cars. The fact is the z/28 beat the "track edition" GTR on the track and cost 41k less and that's a pretty big deal. The z/28 is back.

As far as technology, that Z has components from the new Corvette. Hardly a car known for being behind in anything let alone technology.

I guess your point is that ugly ass Nissan got shown up by a shittier and less technologically advanced GM which cost 41k less. Which I guess means shittier and less technologically advanced cars do better on the track. Weird.
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

paul06660 wrote: reliability.
How many miles does it have on it?
SubLunar
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by SubLunar »

BagHead727 wrote: The price/power is much lower too.
This
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

SubLunar wrote:I guess your point is that ugly ass Nissan got shown up by a shittier and less technologically advanced GM which cost 41k less. Which I guess means shittier and less technologically advanced cars do better on the track. Weird.
^^^I wish there was a like button.
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

Also, when did Variable Valve Timing suddenly make it impossible to catch a car's Power per displacement. It's great stuff, sure, but it's not like the end of the world best innovation that has ever come to cars.
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Post by mindwaave »

I just want to know if a CVT is better than an automatic.
Preservation over plunder.
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

You know what's mildly interesting but quickly moves in the direction of tedious? Car debates.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham
RedRook
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by RedRook »

CVT is awesome. You basically can get a car to work at peak efficiency at any velocity. Automatic transmissions require the transfer of energy across a liquid. This wastes so much energy in its operation that having a clutch disengaging from the engine entirely tends to be more efficient. The only downside to CVT these days is their price.
paul06660
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by paul06660 »

RedRook wrote:Also, when did Variable Valve Timing suddenly make it impossible to catch a car's Power per displacement. It's great stuff, sure, but it's not like the end of the world best innovation that has ever come to cars.
No but its implementation in the late 80's was a huge leap forward in improving the efficiency of gas engines.
RedRook wrote:CVT is awesome. You basically can get a car to work at peak efficiency at any velocity. Automatic transmissions require the transfer of energy across a liquid. This wastes so much energy in its operation that having a clutch disengaging from the engine entirely tends to be more efficient. The only downside to CVT these days is their price.
Another technology first brought to the American market by Nissan.
ropingk
The Roping Kid
The Roping Kid

Post by ropingk »

i have a CVT I'm not a big fan its ok gets good mpg don't like the way it feels
Sleep is a waste of time,you can sleep when you are dead