Saratoga Springs

Urban exploration in Arkansas
xdanox
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Saratoga Springs

Post by xdanox »

I was reading Cutter's Guide to the Hot Springs of Arkansas by Charles Cutter 1883. And, he spoke of a Saratoga Springs. "Saratoga Springs. These springs are situated in Montgomery County, about twenty-five miles from Hot Springs, near the Big Mazon, on the main Dallas road. They are well known to travelers on thi.... (Incomplete scan of page) continued....road, and this point has always been a favorite camping place. The surroundings are very picturesque and beautiful, and the land belonging to the Springs Co. offers a favorable location for a town; the Mazon at this point furnishes a fine mill site, and the back country, when it becomes more settled, will support a good-sized town. The location for a resort is also desirable, as fish and game abound, furnishing rare sport. The spring is a very remarkable one, and by the deposit of the sediment of its waters has built up quite a mound rising several feet above the land adjoining, and from this mound the water flows in considerable quantity over its banks and down into a little spring branch fifteen feet below." Can anyone help me find this? I have never had so much trouble. Also, Blood Springs, anyone?
Zeit zu erforschen ist projiziert.
jkm001
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

Re: Saratoga Springs

Post by jkm001 »

Well I can't find it. If I had to guess, I would say it is Wyatt Spring in the Bonnerdale quad. This is the only named spring I can find in the area and is also the only place that Dallas Road comes close to Mazarn Creek. The 1966 map shows an old railroad grade though a 1936 county highway map doesn't. I don't have my railroad source handy but I can't imagine this being more than a logging branch. Wyatt Spring is about 28 miles west of Hot Springs.

Since you're close to there you may try the plat maps at the county courthouse and see if you can match up legal documents with owner names found in the book.
xdanox
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Saratoga Springs

Post by xdanox »

I do thank you for trying. I may try the courthouse and see what I can dig up.
Zeit zu erforschen ist projiziert.
Cadron Boy
0-99 Poster
0-99 Poster

RE: Saratoga Springs

Post by Cadron Boy »

Correct on location -- Wyatt Spring -- when the government took over control of Hot Springs many businessmen sought to give consideration to developing resorts free of government oversight and bought up many of the springs surrounding Hot Springs. Never held much of a passing interest and the property was never developed much beyond being a watering hole for travelers. Investors included J. J. Sumpter – attorney, sheriff, and hotel proprietor of the Sumpter House, C. N. Rix – bank president and investor in the Imperial Bathhouse, and P. H. Rice -- publisher of the Hot Springs Telegraph.
radguy
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by radguy »

During this time the counties were not in the same shape that they are now. I would look in the area around the town of Mazarn. Since the creek is the Big Mazarn now not the Big Mazon. The old dallas road passes just north of Mazarn.
radguy
200+ Poster
200+ Poster

Post by radguy »

It could easily be Strawn Springs or Collier Spring.