Urban exploration in Missouri
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Chariton County Poor Farm

Post by BagHead727 »

https://goo.gl/maps/lvMyN

Little bit of history

It's situated right next to the county sheltered workshop which is pretty busy. You can't really explore the place inconspicuously so I just asked for permission. The lady in charge of the workhouse had no problem with me taking some pictures.

aka "That Guy"
mindwaave
microwaave
microwaave

Re: Chariton County Poor Farm

Post by mindwaave »

I really love the exterior design. Brick and granite and tile are awesome.

Thanks for sharing!
Preservation over plunder.
BagHead727
500+ Poster
500+ Poster

Post by BagHead727 »

Yeah it's a well built structure. For being so old it's in nice overall shape.
Look at the door in the 6th picture. I just noticed it takes a skeleton or lever key. That's badass
aka "That Guy"
BROUSER
Chief Adviser
Chief Adviser

Post by BROUSER »

Any idea when it shut down? Those TV's look 1970's, but maybe 1980's. Was it a poor farm straight through, or did it see use as something else afterward? My first questions, but a quick search resulted in: The County continued to control operations of the Infirmary which was later known as the Keytesville Rest Home when operated from 1950-November 1967 by Jasper and Mildred Tillotson Coy. In June 1971, the County signed the deed over to Mildred and her son, Dr. Tom Coy, and the business became known as the Coy Rest Home.

The two story brick building changed hands several times oftentimes setting vacant. In 1997 an attempt at a B&B was made. The old brick building is in decay now with windows broken and the yard overgrown. Just to the south of it is the Chariton County Sheltered Workshop which sets on a donated acre of land. The metal building housing the Thrift Shop, work space and office was completed in February 1980, with the warehouse and dock being built in 1982. The Workshop is governed by a nine-member board. The Chariton County Infirmary Cemetery lies about a 1/4 mile to the east of the Workshop and is visible from Highway 24 when the foliage is off the trees. The graves are marked by small concrete pillars with engraved crosses.
“An all-out attack on evolutionist thinking is possibly the only real hope our nations have of rescuing themselves from an inevitable social and moral catastrophe.”
― Ken Ham